• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Elegant nest for a large Lasius neoniger colony? Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted April 24 2022 - 11:46 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have a Lasius neoniger colony that is about 2 years old and growing fast. But, I'm not thrilled with the ascetics of their set up. Far too many of them hang around in the outworld in the water feeding test tube. I don't think their nest is too small, more that their outworld isn't large enough for them to do normal scavenging and trail-making behaviors. 

I'd like something that was less like a box of listless overfed ants.

A natural set up could be nice... but how to make an aquarium ant proof without making it ugly?

Also it'd be a shame to never see the queen again.

I'm considering making a plaster nest with some long tunnels for them to explore and so there could be traffic going in and out as if from underground. But I'm open to any ideas. 

I know my queen could live for many years and I want something the whole family can enjoy watching. 

What is the most elegant setup for such tiny ants?

What about water feeding methods that don't need to be changed often AND that don't let the ants drown by crawling inside of the feeder?

(I'm much more happy with my Pogonomyrmex and their dirt nests in glass panes and with my camponotus who live in wooden nests each with big glass outworlds. I can get another big glass outworld but they are expensive and I don't see the point if they are just going to mill around all over the place as they do now with their medium large outworld.)

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline lazyant - Posted April 24 2022 - 12:02 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

With the terrarium fluon may be an option for not being hecka ugly. Also not seeing the queen is very annoying. With the ytong/plaster nest, I kind of think that's a fire idea. I think IF you do the plaster/ytong nest right it would be amazing. About the feeders I don't know sorry :/

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#3 Offline antgallery - Posted April 24 2022 - 12:47 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

You could try making a wooden nest with tons of tunnels for them (I've heard they can nest in dry wood but I'm not positive) and then just attaching it to a large outworld and make that look nice. In my opinion wood nests look great and if you make a nice outworld to go along with it than I think you'd have a great looking setup.

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 24 2022 - 12:53 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I’d suggest getting a wood nest from foranto wood nests

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 24 2022 - 1:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t think Foranto nests would provide enough humidity for this soil nesting species. A natural setup will get messy quick with excavated dirt, and you won’t be able to observe anything. I say get a big flat THA nest like a Labyrinth. Make your own attractive mega outworld to attach to it.
  • ZTYguy, OiledOlives, futurebird and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted April 24 2022 - 4:15 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I don’t think Foranto nests would provide enough humidity for this soil nesting species. A natural setup will get messy quick with excavated dirt, and you won’t be able to observe anything. I say get a big flat THA nest like a Labyrinth. Make your own attractive mega outworld to attach to it.

yes, get a labyrinth.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted April 25 2022 - 3:58 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I've kept this species for a long time. My best colony hit 5 years before it was sold. They were housed in a acrylic nest. Others were in my 3D printed designs and all thrived. I'd look into get something like that for them. Avoid wood and plaster with this species.

Edited by T.C., April 25 2022 - 3:58 AM.

• ZTYguy and futurebird like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted June 23 2022 - 3:34 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

So I wanted to share how this all turned out. I ended up making a nest! But the first one I made was filled very quickly so I made an even bigger one. Here is how I did it:

And this is how they are doing in their new nest and a little history of this colony:

Today I saw the queen laying one egg after another. I bet she wants to see if she can get me to make an even BIGGER nest...

• m99 and Tai_pan1 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#9 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 23 2022 - 3:57 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

Nice videos!  I love the egg laying video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users