• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster ashmeadi Journal - Fura

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 8:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Beginning 7-18-2022

I found two relatively tiny Crematogaster queens at my blacklight on May 19th this year. Based on size and flight time, I am assuming these are C. ashmeadi, but please correct me if I'm wrong. My hope is to raise these up into another massive colony to replace my now orphaned Divas. 

IMG 2661
IMG 3010

The queens took about six weeks from capture to get their first nanitics. I sold one colony and kept the other that had the largest brood pile. She currently has four workers and a nice brood pile. These are much smaller ants than cerasi, and they don't grow nearly as fast. They're pretty shy at this point as well. That's not necessarily a bad thing! 

IMG 3040
IMG 3162

I attached their test tube to a home made outworld I made from a Hobby Lobby display case. Hopefully this will be another great colony like the one FeedTheAnts kept several years ago. Stay tuned! 

• smares, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 19 2022 - 8:37 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

These are much smaller ants than cerasi, and they don't grow nearly as fast.

So were the Divas cerasi then?

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 8:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

These are much smaller ants than cerasi, and they don't grow nearly as fast.

So were the Divas cerasi then?
Yes, they were keyed out to be cerasi.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#4 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 19 2022 - 9:07 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Super exited for another great ANTdrew journal.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 9:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Super exited for another great ANTdrew journal.

Let’s hope. Not out of the woods yet with these.

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted July 19 2022 - 10:30 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Nice looking colony! Wish I had crematogaster in my area.

• ANTdrew likes this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2022 - 2:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welp. This went down the tubes fast. I put this colony on a heat cable, which they loved at first. It generated massive amounts of condensation over night and drowned the queen. RIP
  • AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 21 2022 - 4:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Dang, RIP. I usually use reptile heading pads. It seems like they don’t produce as much heat, but still enough.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 30 2022 - 7:37 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Welp. This went down the tubes fast. I put this colony on a heat cable, which they loved at first. It generated massive amounts of condensation over night and drowned the queen. RIP

sometimes you just get too quality of products...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users