• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this formica rufa?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted June 20 2022 - 9:16 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

As horrible as I am in identifying ants this immediately seemed like formica to me.
It's about 12mm to 14mm.
I'd guess formica rufa.
Caught today in Austria.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 20 2022 - 9:21 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yes, that appears to be formica rufa or a closely related species. These guys are parasitic so you will need host workers.
  • AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#3 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted June 20 2022 - 9:50 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Thanks.
Kind of exciting but keeping them especially as the colony grows seems difficult.
I'll have to think about releasing this one maybe

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2022 - 11:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks.
Kind of exciting but keeping them especially as the colony grows seems difficult.
I'll have to think about releasing this one maybe

If anyone can do it, it’s you with your cool vivariums.
  • AntaholicAnonymous likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted June 21 2022 - 12:08 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Thank you very much I appreciate that.
Unfortunately it turns out that formica rufa are a protected species in Austria.

The reason I'm so passionate about the vivariums is to provide the best life possible for my ants and let them live as naturally and unrestricted as possible.
The lifestyle of these ants is almost impossible to recreate in a setup smaller than a room and I'd not be true to my principals if I kept these protected ants in a far less than optimal setup.

As sad as it is I gave the queen some sugar water and out of respect released her where I found her to go find a host nest, kill the queen and tell tales of the encounter with the giant ever after. lol
It wasn't supposed to be but I'm sure I'll find a queen this season that I can care for.
This one was needed in the Austrian forests
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users