• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Invasive Species Poll (Study)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Invasive species poll (Study) (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think invasive species are bad for the environment

1. 100% Yes (13 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Mostly yes (19 votes [48.72%])

Percentage of vote: 48.72%

3. Somewhat yes (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. I don't know (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

5. Somewhat no (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

6. Mostly no (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

7. 100% no (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 8 2022 - 5:50 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone,I'm doing a study on invasive species and just trying to find where people lie on the scale. This is not for debating, arguing, and other nonsense. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
On top of the question in the poll, I'd also like to know why you chose your answer. Please be as detailed as possible if you have the time! Thank you!!

Edited by VenomousBeast, June 8 2022 - 5:53 AM.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 8 2022 - 9:56 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
When it comes to ants, it really depends on the invasive. Some, like brachymyrmex patagonicus or cyphomyrmex rimosus don’t have much of an effect on the environment and are pretty much naturalized. Others, like solenopsis invicta or linepithema humile are extremely destructive and bad news for native ant species.
  • bmb1bee likes this

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 8 2022 - 10:12 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

When it comes to ants, it really depends on the invasive. Some, like brachymyrmex patagonicus or cyphomyrmex rimosus don’t have much of an effect on the environment and are pretty much naturalized. Others, like solenopsis invicta or linepithema humile are extremely destructive and bad news for native ant species.

I agree. Linepithema humile are the worst invasives around my area and I've seen them wiping out ant species wherever I go. But some tramp species don't really compare to that level of destruction, and are mostly there just because they've been introduced. Species like Hypoponera punctatissima and Cardiocondyla mauritanica are a couple examples in my neighborhood. I've never seen them displace any other native species (at least not directly) and they both have relatively small colonies, so it's hard for them to make a big impact on the environment around here. Tetramorium immigrans are a bit in between, as they're extremely widespread, but don't make as much of an impact as L. humile.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 8 2022 - 10:19 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationOregon

Where I live, Tetramorium immigrans out compete so many native speices. It's sad to see. 

• futurebird likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#5 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted June 8 2022 - 11:12 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

For some reason in my area Tetramorium immigrans and a Formica species dominant the north side of my street but the south of my street is dominated by native ants and over the years I've noticed a drastic decrease of T.immigrans. In my town and many areas I've been to this is the case.

• azzaaazzzz00, antsriondel, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#6 Offline lazyant - Posted June 8 2022 - 11:23 AM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

For some reason in my area Tetramorium immigrans and a Formica species dominant the north side of my street but the south of my street is dominated by native ants and over the years I've noticed a drastic decrease of T.immigrans. In my town and many areas I've been to this is the case.

I keep finding Tetramorium immigrans queens but not colonies.... (colant can get 1k rep points soon!)

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#7 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted June 8 2022 - 2:23 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

>good ant happy

>bad ant come

>bad ant adapt

>bad ant kill good ant

>good ant disappear

>bad ant no contribute what good ant contribute

>ecosystem wack

>bad ant grow

>bad ant kill more good ant

>ecosystem ded

• Kaelwizard, yaboiseth, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#8 Offline buglover123 - Posted June 8 2022 - 3:08 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Of course invasive species are terrible for the environment. Cats are legal, extremely common, and frequently wander the outdoors where they absolutely decimate native bird and reptile populations. Certain species of ants can be destructive as well such as Argentine ants and Solenopsis, though their introduction had nothing to do with the ant keeping hobby. Most species are likely benign and unlikely to outcompete native ants, even in the event they were released such as through agriculture, or say a damaged shipment to a research lab. Keeping pretty much any kind of ant in a container in your house is inconsequential for the environment-but if you're the type of person who thinks drinking beer should be illegal because of the possibility of drunk driving I can see how that would be scary.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline mmcguffi - Posted June 8 2022 - 8:58 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I'm sorry to be a stickler, but if it is `invasive`, by definition it is harmful to the environment

That said, I think the spirit of the question is probably "Do you think non-native species are bad for the environment?"

In which case there is a wealth of literature on the subject. Some are seemingly benign and possibly occupy a previously unused niche (eg: Cyphomyrmex in Florida) or are destructively transformative to the environment (eg: S. invitca)

I recommending browsing around google scholar if you are curious about this subject

• NickAnter, UtahAnts, NicholasP and 1 other like this

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 30 2022 - 9:55 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I think you guys all list the commonly known species that do damage but there's another invasive Tetramorium species that I see is rarely mentioned but is in a way much worse than immigrans and it's called Tetramorium tsushimae. They're slower spreading but what makes them really bad is the fact that they make super colonies that can easily overpower ant species of any size.

• lazyant likes this

#11 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 1 2022 - 10:53 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Yes, invasives are bad. But think, argies can form super colonies and kill the ants locally, and even local insect fauna. Fire ants, on the other hand, are still bad, but they have native enemies(Pyramid ants). They also are usually in disturbed areas, not in dense forest. Not to mention, we have argies here in Florida, but if we didn’t have invicta controlling them…. It would be another California

Now, invasives are bad but it’s not their fault their here. Hopefully people can be more careful transporting large shipments from other countries…

#12 Offline lazyant - Posted July 1 2022 - 5:40 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Yes, invasives are bad. But think, argies can form super colonies and kill the ants locally, and even local insect fauna. Fire ants, on the other hand, are still bad, but they have native enemies(Pyramid ants). They also are usually in disturbed areas, not in dense forest. Not to mention, we have argies here in Florida, but if we didn’t have invicta controlling them…. It would be another California

Now, invasives are bad but it’s not their fault their here. Hopefully people can be more careful transporting large shipments from other countries…

Here in Cali (at least for me) If I am not in a natural reserve,desert,or hiking trail.... I live in Argiefornia! 

But yeah, It's not the Invasive ants fault, just us humans.

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#13 Offline futurebird - Posted July 1 2022 - 9:28 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I agree with mmcguffi. "invasive" implies a value judgement about a non-native species. For me it's most upsetting to know that some of these species will outcompete or kill native ants, reducing diversity. Also, invasive ants somehow tend to be the most most boring from an antkeeping perspective. They tend to be small, plain, with multiple queens, and a kind of messy living style that helps them to thrive in many different environments. Specialized species are just so much more interesting. But they are also often the product of isolation and climate and ecological stability. 

We are moving away from stability due to climate change, international shipping and habitat disruption. 

This opens new ecological niches for "invasive" species. 

But no one ever calls Mustangs "invasive" not all transported species are destructive to diversity. It's those boring jack-of-all trades that pose the biggest threat. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 2 2022 - 2:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I agree with mmcguffi. "invasive" implies a value judgement about a non-native species. For me it's most upsetting to know that some of these species will outcompete or kill native ants, reducing diversity. Also, invasive ants somehow tend to be the most most boring from an antkeeping perspective. They tend to be small, plain, with multiple queens, and a kind of messy living style that helps them to thrive in many different environments. Specialized species are just so much more interesting. But they are also often the product of isolation and climate and ecological stability.

We are moving away from stability due to climate change, international shipping and habitat disruption.

This opens new ecological niches for "invasive" species.

But no one ever calls Mustangs "invasive" not all transported species are destructive to diversity. It's those boring jack-of-all trades that pose the biggest threat.

Tetramorium immigrans are some of the cleanest ants I’ve ever kept.
  • lazyant and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users