• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Felix's Formica Pressilabris journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 15 2021 - 12:17 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
A massive nuptial flight of at least 6 different species took place around August 5th. While collecting Lasius Niger and Flavus queens, I noticed this very unusual ant running around. She looked like a parasitic queen, but unlike any I'd seen before. I caught her, and after several days finally got an ID of Formica Pressilabris.

post-6225-0-17216900-1628606689.jpg
post-6225-0-58529700-1628606700.jpg
post-6225-0-21641000-1628606663.jpg

She is my first Formica queen. I found a local F. Fusca nest, and collected about 10 workers and maybe 20 - 30 pupae. I immediately gave the queen 5 - 10 pupae, which she started caring for right off the bat. The rest were all placed in a Tupperware with the workers, and after a few days 3 callows were collected. The callows and the queen accepted each other right away. I did not want to risk introducing her to anything except callows, since this species is very small - 7mm, about the same size as a single Fusca worker.

There are now 6 workers in the tube with the queen, so it appears all is going well!

20210815_094156.jpg

Unfortunately the original workers and pupae were collected with some sand, and yesterday in the Tupperware I watched a mite crawl onto the back of a callow and latch on. Thankfully I haven't seen any mites in the queen's tube, but I don't think I will risk giving her any more pupae or callows. She currently has the 6 workers, and they are all tending to about 5 larvae plus 15 - 20 pupae. I'm going to try to get them to move to a new tube to further reduce the risk of mite eggs in the remaining sand. Hopefully this will be a good start for them!
  • NickAnter and AntBoi3030 like this

#2 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 15 2021 - 12:17 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Is the queen actually that small compared to the workers? Or is it just the photos.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 15 2021 - 12:21 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Is the queen actually that small compared to the workers? Or is it just the photos.

Is is roughly the same size as the workers - a bit smaller than the biggest ones. I was surprised as well but apparently that's the average size of these queens. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues though; I'm looking forward to seeing this colony as more workers eclose.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#4 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted June 17 2022 - 2:37 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I'm super excited to share that this queen was fertile, and the colony has successfully raised the first parasitic workers! They are just a bit smaller than the Formica Fusca workers, but easy to tell apart because of their partial red coloration. Currently the colony has a few pupae, and no eggs or larvae. Hopefully more will come soon - I'm excited to see this very rare colony grow 😁

You can see the queen in the center of the second photo, standing on top of a worker. She is approximately the same size as her workers.

Attached Images

• VideoCapture_20220616-213059.jpg
  • VideoCapture_20220616-213034.jpg
  • VideoCapture_20220616-213143.jpg

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users