• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New colony being weird

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 14 2022 - 1:30 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Recently, someone was generous enough to give me a Camponotus Floridanus colony(Solenopsiskeeper) for free… due to their “colony size”. Now that I have had them for about a week, and something weird happened last night. All the brood was piled up in the outworld(opposite corner of garbage site) but only the queen, some workers, and small eggs and larvae remained in the nest. The outworld sand is moist(from their moist poop), but they didn’t dig in it. Also, the nest is big enough, and only about 60% full when they put brood in it. They moved back in after I opened the outworld lid for about an hour, but now, they are moving back out again….

Any tips are greatly appreciated

Nest conditions
Humidity: Water one side once a week
Food: Every other day
Light sensitive: Don’t really care about light anymore, but I still cover the nest

#2 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 15 2022 - 9:49 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Hm, well the only thing I could suggest would be to make the outworld in some way uncomftorble and the nest more heated (or whatever they like more, experiment around)

• ColAnt735 and FloridaAnts like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#3 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 15 2022 - 10:44 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I heat the nest to make them go back, the turn it off so pupae don’t get too moist. They have been in a cycle of moving in, out, in out, for the past few days. Mostly majors now sit up their(Newly enclosed) thinking it’s part of the nest.

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 15 2022 - 10:46 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Hm, well the only thing I could suggest would be to make the outworld in some way uncomftorble and the nest more heated (or whatever they like more, experiment around)

They didn’t do that when I had them…

Except once, when the queen had nanitics(6), they moved all the ants to the outworld, but this sounds different due to the fact they don’t move the queen up(right?)

#5 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 19 2022 - 8:18 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

They move brood because they find a more desirable place with better humidity or temperature. So either your outworld is too comfortable, or your nest isn't comfortable enough. Easiest thing to do is just keep your outworld dry, but you may also consider whether your nest is getting humid enough and whether it's the right temperature. If you are heating the nest, it could be too warm, or if you have a light on the outworld, it may be warming the outworld to a better temperature than the nest.

• FloridaAnts likes this
Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted May 19 2022 - 11:11 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

They move brood because they find a more desirable place with better humidity or temperature. So either your outworld is too comfortable, or your nest isn't comfortable enough. Easiest thing to do is just keep your outworld dry, but you may also consider whether your nest is getting humid enough and whether it's the right temperature. If you are heating the nest, it could be too warm, or if you have a light on the outworld, it may be warming the outworld to a better temperature than the nest.

Agreed. Cocoons prefer dryer, hotter environments so your outworld is probably a better place to store the brood than the nest because of humidity, and heat. Larvae prefer more humidity which is probably why they remained in the nest.

• FloridaAnts likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#7 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 19 2022 - 4:10 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
They now bring up one or two cocoons, but overall it’s gotten better. The light doesn’t produce heat, and I onyl what the nest when they move brood up… I will let you know if it happens again, thanks!
  • AntsCali098 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users