• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black Light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted May 20 2022 - 2:43 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys
I am wanting to try black lighting for Pheidole this year. I live on a farm and want to try it in the fields some and next to the woods so I would be away from my house. I have a black light bulb, but was trying to find a portable option like a battery powered light bar of some sort. Or even a way to use my bulb in a battery powered socket. Usually I’m pretty nifty with stuff like this but I can’t for the life of me figure it out haha.

Anyways thank you!

In Jesus,
Jonny
  • antsinvirgina likes this
In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted May 20 2022 - 4:48 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

Me and my brother bought a mosquito black light and it worked really well for finding queens and it was very bright.

lol it took me and my brother a while before we could set it up so I feel your pain.

have fun!

• lazyant likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 20 2022 - 3:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Look up mobile power packs on Amazon. I bought one from Jackery that works really well. You can plug in multiple devices into it after you charge it.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted May 23 2022 - 12:09 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Would these work??

There’s this 2 pack for a good price:

Black Light Bar 2 Pack, 10W 1ft USB Portable UV Led Blacklight Tube for Glow Party Supplies, Halloween Decorations, Urine Detection, Body Paint, Fluorescent Poster https://www.amazon.c...H871JKGV1PJYP4K

Also, this battery powered black light flashlight is what would work best but a USB would be fine as well

Limited-time deal: UV Flashlight Black Light , Vansky 51 LED Blacklight Pet Urine Detector for Dog/Cat Urine,Dry Stains,Bed Bug, Matching with Pet Odor Eliminator https://www.amazon.c...04BTR4T5DSKWJB8
In Jesus,
Jonny

#5 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 23 2022 - 12:15 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Hey guys
I am wanting to try black lighting for Pheidole this year. I live on a farm and want to try it in the fields some and next to the woods so I would be away from my house. I have a black light bulb, but was trying to find a portable option like a battery powered light bar of some sort. Or even a way to use my bulb in a battery powered socket. Usually I’m pretty nifty with stuff like this but I can’t for the life of me figure it out haha.
Anyways thank you!
In Jesus,
Jonny

If it’s any help to you, I have heard you get the most success black lighting for Pheidole early morning, before the sunrises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users