• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Beetle Grub ID Big Bear, CA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 18 2015 - 3:23 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I was out walking around searching for whatever was around and decided to open up a rotting stump (I don't know what type of tree).  Found this grub in there.  I was wondering if some of you could help me identify the species.  I also collected some of the wood it was in.  The wood does have some fungus with it.  Let me know if it would be good to keep or what i should do with it all.  

DSC_0891_zpslwevrwgq.jpg

DSC_0894_zpsyyjp5nde.jpg

DSC_0895_zpsgmlmm7l9.jpg

DSC_0897_zpsrqekylwl.jpg

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 18 2015 - 8:05 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

That thing looks really cool. Kinda like a living intestine with a termite soldier head fastened on to it.

#3 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 19 2015 - 9:50 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

very cool. that is a bark beetle of some sort, for sure. more than likely a long horned species. he is a little skinny though. probably early stage. how big is it? put him in a cup with some organic soil, wood mulch from the tree he was in, a few dried oats and some sod root. 

Edited by larynix, July 19 2015 - 9:56 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 19 2015 - 11:09 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

very cool. that is a bark beetle of some sort, for sure. more than likely a long horned species. he is a little skinny though. probably early stage. how big is it? put him in a cup with some organic soil, wood mulch from the tree he was in, a few dried oats and some sod root. 

it has no legs anywhere.  it is about 2 inches to 2.5.  i have him in a deli cup with 100% the wood he was in.

#5 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 20 2015 - 7:00 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

2- 2.5 . that things gonna be big. ( long horned beetle grubs don't all have legs). is the wood you found him in cedar? does it have a cedar smell to it?

#6 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 20 2015 - 7:20 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

if he is a asian long horn he will look like this probably.Asian-longhorn-beetle.jpg

• LC3 likes this

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2016 - 11:47 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

A species of longhorn beetle

• T.C. likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline kellakk - Posted July 12 2016 - 12:24 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I think this might be the larva of Phloeodes diabolicus, the diabolical ironclad beetle. I remember a few years back seeing a picture of one, but I can't seem to find it right now.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice this was a necro thread.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users