• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Young colony of C. sansabeanus culls of one of two queens

camponotus sansabeanus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dumpling - Posted May 16 2022 - 3:44 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

Hi, I recently purchased a colony of camponotus sansabeanus from reign of rage, with 2 queens, 6 workers 1 pupae, 1 mature larvae and lots of young larvae and eggs. As you can see in the title, they culled one of the queens today. I knew that they would eventually cull a queen but I didn't expect this to happen so soon. Should I be concerned? The entire colony is well fed, (Based on the size of their gasters) and the only sign I saw that the colony was favoring one queen was that the main queen that is still alive today has a slightly larger gaster. Other than that no signs of agression (I just got home from school and didn't see the fight go down.) The scene is quite gruesome. The dead queen has it's head twisted upside down and it's legs are injured. Looks like something that only the large mandibles of another queen could do, but I could be wrong. I just want to know if I should be extra concerned about this death.

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 16 2022 - 4:47 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
This is normal. Camponotus sansabeanus found through pleometrosis, which means that after the first workers emerge all but one of the queens will eventually be killed off.
  • ZTYguy and Dumpling like this

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 16 2022 - 4:56 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
In general most Camponotus in California are Monogyne and if not then they found together and then cull later or after first workers. The only species I know of in California that are truly poly are Camponotus clarithorax to my knowledge. Any California antlers pipe up if I missed something.
  • Dumpling likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline Dumpling - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:38 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Thanks, I thought that they would wait until second gen or something before the culling. I don't know why I thought that lol. At least the queen that is still alive is prettier...

• ZTYguy and ColAnt735 like this

#5 Offline Dumpling - Posted May 17 2022 - 6:01 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Just a quick update, I noticed that the queen was still slightly moving around and it barely had enough energy to crawl out of the nest into the outworld in the course of two hours (about the distance of half a test tube.) I decided the best course of action is to humanely put it out of it's miserly because it's head is twisted upside down and the colony refuses to tend to it. It's sad but It had to be done to ensure no suffering of the queen.

#6 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 17 2022 - 6:16 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

This is normal. Camponotus sansabeanus found through pleometrosis, which means that after the first workers emerge all but one of the queens will eventually be killed off.

I thought they were polygynous in some populations?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus sansabeanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users