• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsTopia’s First Camponotus floridanus Journal

ant keeping camponotus camponotus flordanius ants antstopia antkeeping carpenter ants florida ants from florida

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I put queen on top of cage with heat? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I put queen on top of cage with heat?

1. Yes. Pros: Larvae grow faster and queen lays more eggs Cons: light stresses queen out (12 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. NO!! (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 2 2022 - 2:03 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hi everyone, I am AntsTopia and I am new to formiculture.com. Though I have been keeping ants now for over 4 years so please treat me as a normal keeper not stupid ya know. Even though I’m new to this website doesn’t mean I’m not a good ant-keeper. Anyways I caught a single Camponotus flordanius queen 15 days ago walking alongside my pool. She had a fat gaster full of eggs. I was really exited because this was my first C. flordanius queen that wasn’t found in the pool drowning. :(
Anyway I put her in a XL testube and tossed her into the droor. No wait I didn’t toss her lol. Anyway a week later she had 13 eggs (counted). 1 week after that they hatched into small larvae. And that where I am at now. I heard a lot about that it would be best for me to heat her up a bit to make the larva's growth speed up. I don’t like heating cables but I do have a bearded dragon cage that I like putting my grown colonies there but the light is ok for them because it doesn’t stress them out as much as I think this queen would be. So if you guys could vote above wether or not to place the queen in the heat ant get stressed because of the light. Thank you! I will be updating this journal August 10th and will be replying to people before the 10th. Bye! Be uploading pics tommorow.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted August 2 2022 - 4:07 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Welcome to the forum! You should make a journal for your other colonies as addition to this.

Edited by ColAnt735, August 2 2022 - 4:08 PM.

• lazyant and AntsTopia like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#3 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 2 2022 - 5:26 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Sure I do it tomorrow as fast as possible.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 3 2022 - 3:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Heating test tubes directly can cause dangerous amounts of condensation. If you are in Florida, finding a warmer spot for your queen should be no problem.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 3 2022 - 8:56 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Ok I’ll try not to put them so close to the heat lamp say 7 inches away?

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 8 2022 - 10:05 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

8/8/22

First Cocoon! With more on the way. The larva are much bigger now and should pupate tomorrow or the next day. So far we have 1 pupae. It should hatch in a week or two. Fingers crossed that this queen successfully raises nanitics and does not kill her cocoons. I hear a lot Camponotus and lasius queens do that. Here’s a picture of her. 

Pictures:

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#7 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted August 8 2022 - 10:08 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Heating test tubes directly can cause dangerous amounts of condensation. If you are in Florida, finding a warmer spot for your queen should be no problem.

This is true, but I found that floridnaus queens aren’t affected by humidity if they are not drowning in it. If you heat you queen above 85, her brood will drown. My queens are at 84 and develop fairly quickly.

Also, you can adjust them to light. Mine are in full light and have 9 cocoons and eggs.

Edited by FloridaAnts, August 8 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#8 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 10 2022 - 7:46 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Thank you for this info, I don't have to worry anymore I guess about the lights. The queen is doing just fine now hopefully the cocoon hatches soon.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#9 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 16 2022 - 7:09 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
So no updates really beside the cocoon is getting darker every day and we have 4 large larva ready to pupate. I'll posts pictures when we get our first nanitic as well as more cocoons. I have to say Camponotus floridanius is very elusive and this is my first colony of this species. but wow the growth of this camponotus is insane. So it's around day 15 and she has cocoons so this has been really special.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#10 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 18 2022 - 8:29 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
8/18/22
Queen has second cocoon now and more on the way! I can see the outline of the worker ant inside of the old cocoon, she should be ready to pop out any moment.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#11 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 18 2022 - 4:02 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
8/18/22
WORKERSSSSSSSS
Finally after coming home tonight i get to see 1 queen with a stumbiling nanitic getting fed and cleaned by the queen! The other cocoon is getting a bit dark now and we should have 2 nanitics by next week!

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#12 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 18 2022 - 4:08 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Pictures:

Attached Images

• 20220818_200447.jpg
  • 20220818_200443.jpg
  • 20220818_200440.jpg

• FloridaAnts likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#13 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted August 18 2022 - 7:51 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Is there only 4 cocoons?

Also, I would highly recommend getting an outworld before 20 workers. I have experience, and it wasn’t a good one.

#14 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 19 2022 - 7:51 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Ok say an AC test tube Portal? The colony has 1 cocoon and 2-3 mature larvae.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#15 Offline FinWins - Posted August 19 2022 - 2:38 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

That would work or tubs & tubes method, Or a very small gypsum, plaster, or Ytong nest (aka THA nest) would also work well

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#16 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted August 19 2022 - 6:00 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

If you already have it, use it but clog the plugs with cotton. They will outgrow it within a few months, so keep that in mind. They do much better when they have a lot of extra space, I am not sure exactly why but queens I raise in large tubes have 12 nanitics vs the 4-5 in small tubes. A ytong nest wouldn’t be great long term due to the ants getting majors at 20 workers so I highly suggest something that S. Invicta can’t get out of(Acrylic nest, tough materials, etc)

#17 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 22 2022 - 3:43 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
8/22/22
First Feeding and First Move!!!

Worker is dark and mature so I gave them a drop of green colored honey. The worker swelled up very large and fed the queen and swelled up again and fed the queen again. They did this cycle about 3-4 times until queen and worker and larva were swelled up with green honey. So then after 2 hours I decided that I should move the queen into a small nest with a outworld. I connected them to the nest and the worker explored it and then moved the brood into the nest. The worker proceeded to drag the queen to the nest by her front leg lol. So the queen is now happy in their new home. I will update when the other cocoon hatches as well as take pictures tommorow (maybe the next day because I'm getting a Xbox).

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#18 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 26 2022 - 6:39 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
FIRST Protein meal!!

I took it easy on this colony at first so I put 1/2 of a cricket inside their outworld. The worker drunk the blood of the cricket. The she proceeded to drop the cricket into the small nest. From there they butchered the 1/2 of the cricket and ate the meat and discarded the exoskeleton of the cricket. They fed the larva and it looks like the queen will be popping the second batch of eggs any minute. If any body here has watched minuscule the movie, the queen is like the black ant colony’s queen with the sugar block that made her make a lot of eggs. Anyway here is pictures:
  • GrandAntKing likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#19 Offline AntsTopia - Posted September 7 2022 - 2:07 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Ok sorry everyone for the delay I went in vacation up to Orlando and got in a pretty bad car crash. I’m ok tho thanks to the painful airbag. When I got back from Orlando I cracked a wood piece and I found a good colony of C. Flordanius they had a huge heaping pile of cocoons. They must have had 700-800 cocoons. Their fat queen went to the nearest exit and escaped but I didn’t care about that all I wanted was those silky cocoons. Quickly I scooped up 100-150 cocoons and some workers. “Coughs” (literally coughs) about that, well when i aspirated the Camponotus workers well… 

DAMM it hurt I felt like I was breathing fire but instead of it going out it was going in. Anyway I had a sore throat and my lungs burned. When did Camponotus have so much Formica acid? Anyway some ant keepers think brood boosting is unethical even cruel to the host colony but if you saw that pile, huh. Anyway so I got home and what do I see? A fat queen with 2 workers, 5 cocoons, 1 large larvae, and a huge batch of eggs. Anyway I’m gonna add the cocoons tomorrow since I am really tired. Also pictures tomorrow as well. Thanks guys for following this journal it really means a lot! Byee!

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#20 Offline AntsTopia - Posted September 10 2022 - 9:38 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi guys! I have added cocoons to the colony. I decided to give them a hybrid nest camponotus for the time being with all the brood they have. The colony accepted the brood readily and even the queen helped the 2 workers drag the cocoons back to the nest. Some of cocoons were big and some were small. In the morning their was at least 3-4 active super-majors. I have never seen a camponotus grow that big! It even beats castenaus in my opinion. Here's some pics

Attached Images

• 20220910_133702.jpg
  • 20220910_133700.jpg
  • 20220910_133657.jpg
  • 20220910_133654.jpg

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant keeping, camponotus, camponotus flordanius, ants, antstopia, antkeeping, carpenter ants, florida, ants from florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users