• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test tubes drying out quickly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted April 22 2022 - 11:55 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hi guys. I have about 100 queens and small colonies caught last fall, all in test tubes. I've found that even though I'm putting test tubes 1/2 to 2/3 full of water, they dry out quickly. Any way to slow down how fast they dry out? How do people that collect/sell large numbers of colonies handle this?

Thanks guys! Photo included of a cute little Lasius Niger queen that kept her wings 152a9ae2ba417716d99c7861e2a09cfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 23 2022 - 12:50 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I suggest substituting your normal cotton balls out for blue pva sponges. They are highly water absorbent and release water slower then a typical cotton ball. Also do you have a fan or heavy AC unit going. If the climate of the room they are in is dry it will dry your nests and tubes out faster then a climate that is humid. You can possibly get a small humidifier that can keep humidity in the space up and that will slow water depletion significantly.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2022 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Glass tubes tend to lose water slower than plastic ones as well.
  • ZTYguy likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted May 16 2022 - 9:58 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

The rate of evaporation also depends on the tightness of the cotton stopper at the end of your tube. If they are drying out as fast as you say I suspect you are not packing in enough cotton as a stopper.

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 19 2022 - 8:12 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

How quick is too quickly? I use cheapo plastic test tubes and they last maybe 3 months before they start getting low on water or get mold. I use extra large cotton balls, so they are fairly tight-packed.

Also, are you heating these test tubes? If so, make sure to heat the end by the stopper and less water will evaporate.

For your colonies that have workers, are you providing a water source in an outworld? If you provide easy access water, it could help prevent the workers from using the test tube water.

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users