• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from MD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TurboLag21 - Posted May 3 2022 - 7:13 PM

TurboLag21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Everyone! I’m looking to get started in the hobby and starting with some research. I look forward to learning more!

Edited by TurboLag21, May 3 2022 - 7:28 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#2 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted May 3 2022 - 7:19 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Hello Everyone! I’m looking to get started in the hobby and starting with some research. I look forward to learning more!

Welcome to the forum! Some genus' of ants I would recommend you start off with are: Camponotus, Lasius,Pheidole, and Tetramorium. Also here is a thread where people document their findings of queen ants for your area: https://www.formicul...ia-queen-watch/

Edited by ColAnt735, May 3 2022 - 7:21 PM.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 1:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to the forum and this crazy hobby!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 4 2022 - 2:16 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:23 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Welcome! Happy to see a new ant keeper in MD.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline TurboLag21 - Posted May 4 2022 - 5:45 AM

TurboLag21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you all for the welcomes! I'm currently researching the recommended species from above, thanks for the suggestions! Also, I appreciate the link to the over thread! Thanks again!

#7 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 4 2022 - 8:59 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Aphaenogaster is a great beginner genus as well. A. fulva-rudis-texana complex is very hardy, eats proteins very well, and have very prolific queens. A. rudis was my first colony and keeping the genus helped me get a lot better.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users