• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vertical vs. Horizontal nest?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BillPisechko - Posted May 3 2022 - 4:01 PM

BillPisechko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Missouri
Hello all...
I've looked around and not too much discussion on this. As a total NOOB I've read too much, watched to many YouTube videos and know way too little!
I am about to receive a Camponotus castaneaus queen with small brood. I'm also considering getting a Camponotus herculeanus (Dark Morph) queen with small brood and raising both at once.
Stupid idea for a new guy?
Real question - any opinions or facts on vertical vs. horizontal for these two species? I've seen examples of both orientations that I like but like I said... totally new to ants!
Let the opinions, facts and thoughts fly gang!!! Thanks in advance for the help!
Bill P.
Semper Fi

1st Colony - Camponotus US-CA02 (May 2022)

#2 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 3 2022 - 4:11 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Horizontal nests are better for almost all applications, in my opinion. This is why most of the product lineup at arthropodantics.com are horizontal nests. That said, vertical nests do have a few specific advantages, largely being able to house more ants in a smaller surface area (due to being able to stack upwards, rather than expand outwards for more nesting space) and for species that have repletes, such as Myrmecocystus, or otherwise have a knack for hanging upside down in the nest. 

With horizonal nests, the main advantage is visibility. With almost any example on the market, a horizontal formicarium is going to allow you to see your ants the best, especially if it's a nest with shallower chambers (or none at all). Even with Arthropod Antics' vertical Formicaria, where visibility is a huge priority, they are still outclassed in that aspect by the horizontal formicaria in our lineup.

If you're just getting into the hobby, and with the species you have mentioned, I would strongly suggest a horizontal formicarium. You won't need to worry about space, since with only a few colonies you should have plenty of desk space to accommodate a couple of setups, and having a setup with excellent visibility will certainly encourage you to watch your ants, and just further grow your interest in antkeeping as a whole. On top of that, Camponotus species have no need to hang upside-down in a nest, so verticality is not something required in a captive setup for them.

• Somethinghmm and BillPisechko like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2022 - 4:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I second Cheeto here; go horizontal. My other piece of advice is to get a different genus for your second colony. Camponotus aren’t all that rewarding, C. castaneus especially so.
  • BillPisechko likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline BillPisechko - Posted May 3 2022 - 5:39 PM

BillPisechko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Missouri

I second Cheeto here; go horizontal. My other piece of advice is to get a different genus for your second colony. Camponotus aren’t all that rewarding, C. castaneus especially so.

Thanks for the info... Both of you. I'm liking the horizontal best myself, I just didn't want to be missing anything.
Can you elaborate on your comment about "rewarding"?
Bill P.
Semper Fi

1st Colony - Camponotus US-CA02 (May 2022)

#5 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted May 3 2022 - 5:51 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Camponotus tend to grow slower than other genuses, they are a easy starter species for newcomers though.

• BillPisechko likes this

#6 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted May 3 2022 - 6:06 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Thanks for the info... Both of you. I'm liking the horizontal best myself, I just didn't want to be missing anything.
Can you elaborate on your comment about "rewarding"?

Most more northern Camponotus can be painfully slow in development, movement(unless they get disturbed, then they really go fast), hibernation; in perhaps any way the word "slow" can be used, they will be slow, which is why I think they should be kept alongside a more entertaining species so that one does not become frustrated and bored.

• CheetoLord02 and BillPisechko like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted May 4 2022 - 12:00 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I disagree with what's been said. Horizontal and vertical nests both have advantages. Visibility is something that cannot really be altered by the nests position. Some of my best pictures come from vertical setups. In fact on horizontal nests I've found visibility was worse because the humidity would build up on the glass, especially when a warm source was applied below the nest. Which by the way, to get a large fast growing colony, heat will play a big part in that so I have heating mats and cables on all of mine. I'm not saying that vertical is better, but horizontal is no better either. It just depends on what you like and what your going for.
  • Somethinghmm, DDD101DDD and BillPisechko like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users