• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

HELP! Male termite died!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 3 2022 - 5:36 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Let me start from the beginning. I was digging up a pheidole ant colony using a style of digging up leafcutter ant colonies… I came across a chamber 2 feet down, with what appeared to be a VERY fat maggot. On closer inspection, this appeared to be a queen termite, white in color. She is mated by the looks of things, but the collect male just died…. Any suggestions?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 3 2022 - 9:11 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Normally when a king or queen termite dies, a worker will molt into a reproductive and take their place. However, assuming your termites were founding and had no workers you may be out of luck.

#3 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 3 2022 - 3:07 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Rip. Will the queen raise her eggs into workers which will then molt?

#4 Offline DevinTheAntKeeper - Posted October 1 2022 - 3:17 PM

DevinTheAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

i don't think so

#5 Offline BugLover - Posted October 3 2022 - 4:27 PM

BugLover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

btw what kind of tactic do you use to dig up the leafcutter ants, and you are so lucky to find a chamber with a queen like that. does it have workers? hopefully it is a species that can molt to have a new king/queen. also where did you find a queen like that? lastly, what species was it.

#6 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted October 3 2022 - 5:37 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
SolenopsisKeeper hasn't been on since august so it's unlikely to get a response se from him, but other people could probably give you some info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users