• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reticulitermes lucifugus - adultoid reproductives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted April 5 2022 - 12:05 PM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRavenna, Italy.

Here's some Reticulitermes from my main colony, kept in a rather large plastic container filled with sandy soil and "bundled" 3mm thick sprucewood planks.

Note the many brownish, larger individuals: these are adultoid reproductives. It's a peculiar caste very reminiscent of the primary royals (in fact, they just look like scantily sclerified primaries) that arise from the same stage, the last nymphal instar. Their greatest peculiarity for non-primaries is that upon maturing they actually unfolds well developed membranaceous wings very similar to the formers', though a bit smaller and "curlier" and as such unsuitable for flight. This caste will never leave the parent colony anyway, dealating inside it to mate and breed among themselves.

I have a ton of these in my main colony, which is convenient because if i want to create a new colony by gemmation i can simply throw some of them along with the workers and have instant egg production without needing to wait for the development of neotenics. 

278022335_3115730378755501_5191382635933112408_n.jpg

• ANTdrew, Arthroverts, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 5 2022 - 3:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome! Is spruce the best wood for Recticulitermes, or is just the most readily available? I’m looking forward to giving this another go. Maybe third time is the charm?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted April 5 2022 - 5:00 PM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

It has been warmly recommended to me by Dr. Jan Sobotnik of the Termite Research Team himself, so while i can't say for sure it's the very best for these termites is surely superior to many other options and strike an excellent balance between suitability and availability. My colonies appreciate it a lot, that's for sure.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted April 5 2022 - 5:01 PM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Maybe third time is the charm?

I hope so! Best luck!

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Online Canadian anter - Posted April 6 2022 - 5:57 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

It has been warmly recommended to me by Dr. Jan Sobotnik of the Termite Research Team himself, so while i can't say for sure it's the very best for these termites is surely superior to many other options and strike an excellent balance between suitability and availability. My colonies appreciate it a lot, that's for sure.

Do you find it's better for all termites, or mainly Reticulitermes? I've still been having a ridiculous time finding a good wood source for Zootermopsis. I'm currently trying birch, since that seems to be most common one used in studies on Zootermopsis

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted April 6 2022 - 11:32 AM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Since neither i nor the TRT keep Archotermopsidae like Zootermopsis, i can

Do you find it's better for all termites, or mainly Reticulitermes? I've still been having a ridiculous time finding a good wood source for Zootermopsis. I'm currently trying birch, since that seems to be most common one used in studies on Zootermopsis

Since i never kept any Archotermopsidae like Zootermopsis (and neithor do the TRT, at least currently), i can't say about its suitability for them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users