• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Solenopsis Keeper’s Ground Beetle(Pasimachus) Journal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 23 2022 - 4:26 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Greetings!
A few weeks ago, I went out to find queen ants, but what I found was far from an ant queen. I found a female stag beetle stopped dead in the middle of the sidewalk. I used a large test tube to collect her, and she had little to no reaction of being touched. For the next day, she didn’t really move, so I came to the conclusion that she was pregnant, adjusting to her new environment, or was on the road to death. Turns out, she just needed some time to adjust to the new home. She is quite beautiful, with hints of blue on her sides. I researched their diet, and immediately realized why my ants hadn’t been accepting protein jelly-It was for Rhino beetles. I quickly gave her some, and she devoured it. I have not physically touched her, due to the fact that those mandibles are quite strong. I would like to breed her in the future…

Any tips on finding males?

Attached Images

• 2C8421DC-5261-4D43-BB31-8C3C5BC70EFA.jpeg
  • 55147190-9120-4631-A236-E6B163FD2FE3.jpeg

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, April 23 2022 - 8:44 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2022 - 5:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Added the possessive apostrophe to your title.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted April 23 2022 - 6:23 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Are antdude or Yuku familiar words for you sir?
  • Manitobant likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 23 2022 - 6:59 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Thanks! Didn’t realize I never added one.

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 23 2022 - 8:02 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This looks like Pasimachus, which is Carabidae and not a stag beetle.  It's a ground beetle.

• T.C. likes this

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 23 2022 - 8:43 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

This looks like Pasimachus, which is Carabidae and not a stag beetle. It's a ground beetle.

Ok. Thanks for correction, I was wondering why there is a hint of blue.

Is anyone familiar with the differing traits or characteristics between males and females?

Looked up what larvae look like, and I have seen larvae exactly like this! Going to do a lot of research. Looks like they rarely eat fruit…

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, April 23 2022 - 8:54 PM.

#7 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 23 2022 - 8:46 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

This looks like Pasimachus, which is Carabidae and not a stag beetle.  It's a ground beetle.

I originally thought was female stag beatle

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 23 2022 - 10:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

The only known stag beetles to my knowledge in California are extremely rare and are extremely hard to come by. The stag beetles I talk about are Diphyllostoma and are not even true stag beetles.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#9 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 25 2022 - 5:29 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Wow these guys strength. I gave a dead superworm, and she cut through the skin! It was a hardened exoskeleton, and I have never seen my ants due this. Afraid of being bitten. She also buried it with her, I don’t even know why. Any leftovers are for the springtails!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users