• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kanye2020's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted March 9 2022 - 2:53 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

This is my C. pennsylvanicus. Colony, this journal at most will be updated every two weeks as Camponotus are very slow growing. This journal is a bit different as this is a almost 1 year old colony now, the reason I didn't start one back when I caught them is do to I was unsure of my capabilities of keeping them year round. I haven't had much luck placing ants in diapause via placing them in a garage or basement ( Garage too cold and Basement not getting cold enough). Either way I now have a minifridge dedicated to them and my other animals. 

The start my colony started out in all the way back in May 28th 2021.

IMG_20210528_121250_919.jpg

July 10th I moved the queen and eggs into a THA minihearth type 1. (I believe at this point and time she had 1 worker just not in photo.)

20210710_224119.jpg

July 29th some more workers nothing worth really noting.

20210729_181311.jpg

August 8th still not too many worker but a new batch of eggs.

20210808_002245.jpg

August 31st pretty big gain in worker count the picture doesn't show them all but probably around 15-20 workers in total now.

20210831_035344.jpg

October 26th around this time some of the original nanitics died they also weren't too keen on keeping the nest clean.

20211026_201817.jpg

Now jump ahead to February 22nd 2022 out of hibernation and everything's still alive my first time being able to keep ants alive past winter. Needless to say I was excited though C. pennsylvanicus. Almost look as though they're dead once taken out of diapause took a few days for them to wake up. At first the only way I could tell the queen made it was that the antenna were moving every so often.

20220222_170632.jpg

March 9th and a huge growth in eggs, larvae and cocoons. I also see that some of the larvae are much larger and haven't cocooned yet... first majors? I hope.

20220309_152915.jpg

If you have any questions for me feel free to PM me. Diet wise for the first year was mainly honey, mealworms, crickets and the occasional house fly. Honey by far being the most preferred out of all those. Second year so far it's been Honey + Water, Fruit flies, Mealworms and freeze dried crickets. I didn't have them heated the first year this year I have a heating cable so I'll see how much that effects them. 

Anyways that's it for now until the next update. (I also have decided that if the colony does die I won't just stop updating so if I don't post for awhile either nothing has happened or I am busy. I just don't like it when journals just stop and people assume the worst. But also it's a good thing to announce that they died and how as this will help people avoid these same mistakes, even if it was something simple it just makes it more apparent that people need to be more vigilante for it.)

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

#2 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 9 2022 - 2:56 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I like how you took pictures throughout their year to put into this journal :D, it's like a little timeline. Hope the colony does well!

• Kanye2020 and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2022 - 3:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great start to the journal.
  • Kanye2020 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 9 2022 - 4:43 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationOregon

What a healthy looking Queen and colony!

• Kanye2020 likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#5 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted April 16 2022 - 12:10 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

4/16/22

20220416 143641

The colony has exploded in population also Majors!
So far I have seen 2 majors they're so far my favorite part of the colony also noticed that they worker ant casts are getting larger.
They're diet hasn't changed at all just been feeding them the same as always. I thought that the heating cable was possible causing problems so I moved it to the corner of the nest. The next morning all of the brood was moved off of the water tower to the corner with heat.(some times you should just leave things how they are.)
However I think soon they're going to be moved to a Mini Hearth XL or Fallen Fortress. 

That's it till next time!

Edited by Kanye2020, April 16 2022 - 12:15 PM.

• T.C., AntsDakota, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted April 16 2022 - 6:35 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I don't think that I've seen a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony blow up this quick. Usually takes my colonies two years to get past ten workers.,

• Kanye2020 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted April 16 2022 - 6:54 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

I don't think that I've seen a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony blow up this quick. Usually takes my colonies two years to get past ten workers.,

I've also noticed this with my other Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Colony in a test tube setup right now only has 6 workers. Somewhat younger than this colony by a month or two caught them later on. 
I have seen the queen for this journal colony and she might be physogastric her but I can't be too sure as could just be food stores. I do remember that this (Journal) colony during its first year had worker numbers at 10-15.
All I can think/attribute it to is maybe if the queen is fed well or just by chance they lay more eggs than what avg? 

• T.C. likes this

#8 Offline lazyant - Posted April 16 2022 - 8:57 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Wow that's a lot of Camponotus! They seem to be doing good. The brood are THICC

• Kanye2020 and ColAnt735 like this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#9 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 17 2022 - 2:27 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Whoa look at those butts, they're ready to explode!

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users