• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New York Anter, looking for info on prenolepsis Imparis sightings.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LIExotics - Posted March 12 2023 - 4:42 PM

LIExotics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY, USA
Hey everyone. Name's Chris. 2 years ago I found a single prenolepsis Imparis winged queen in my bang yard, but since then I have not found a single ant anywhere near here. Looking for any sightings of prenolepsis Imparis nuptial flights on long Island, or previous flights seen in previous years. I really want to collect a few of these queens to start a colony or two. They are one of my favorite ant species. Any sighting or previous sighting information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted March 12 2023 - 6:43 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Prenolepis observations from New York - https://www.inatural...&taxon_id=68146
Prenolepis gyne observations from New York - https://www.inatural...s) present?=Yes

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2023 - 1:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Prenolepis flew here in Virginia about two weeks ago on a fluky day we got near to 80 degrees F. Since we are a couple of hours south of you, I’d say your populations should be flying very soon. Look out for days near 80 degrees with light winds. It may be a while until you see warmth like that, though, given the weather pattern we’ve had recently.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 13 2023 - 5:19 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Pimps are one of the easiest species to catch because they fly 1 or 2 days a year so its at a very specific time. On the FIRST day when it is above 68 degree by noon. No, it doesnt mean the whole world will be cover in pimps. You still have to know where colonies are. Its un-missable if you run into their flight because you'll literally be cover in males.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted March 13 2023 - 10:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Despite what others say, prenolepis imparis flights have always been one of the hardest to find. However their flight days are the most predictable. The first few notable warm days of the year, they are flying seemingly regardless of humidity as a factor.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users