• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions About Cyphomyrmex Wheeleri

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 15 2022 - 2:40 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

To start this off a year back in August I found a male Cyphomyrmex wheeleri male alate on a park bench in the early morning and I plan on trying to track down a queen or even a colony to raise. Now to the questions...

Question 1: Where and when should I look. This park is a quite versatile area with a creek spanning the entire length of the property and dense foliage throughout. There is also a desert-esk area with sand and brush. I’m also wondering what time of day I should look for them. Should I look in the morning, noon, or evening. 

Question 2: If I am able to obtain a colony what exactly should I be feeding them. I have tried to look up on what they take but have come to dead ends each time. Do they need insects, carbs (ie nectar), plant matter. Exactly what does the fungi eat or need to stay alive

Thank you for reading. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#2 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 15 2022 - 7:03 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
I've found a couple colonies in North Carolina while visiting and I've found them only in sand soils, normally under rocks or logs, but always with medium to some moisture underneath.
Also, in terms of diet for their yeast farms, any insect material as long as it doesn't have pesticides or fungicide residue. It doesn't really grow on anything other than organic materials, and I've never seen it grow on plant material, so I'd stick with the bugs😁👍
Also, anytime works, but mornings should be the easiest for collection as it's slightly colder making them just a tiny bit slower. Even though they are already a slow species.
  • ZTYguy likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 15 2022 - 9:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California