• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZTY’s Destroyers Of All Worlds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 2 2022 - 9:20 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Hello, as I am sure most of you experienced ant keepers now that L. humile otherwise known as the Argentine Ant is one of, if not the most invasive species on the planet. It has dominated all over North and South America as well as Australia, Asia, Africa, and Europe. This ant is highly adaptive and has mauled ecosystems across the world, and what I wish to do is take you all on a journey through the endless life of an L. humile colony and show just how fast they grow and how hardy they truly are. I am fully aware that the housing and keeping of invasive species is frowned upon by many but I assure to all my non invasive keeping ant folk that if I at any time wish to haunt this I will NOT be releasing them as that in my opinion is horrible but I will euthanize them via freeze. NOW with that all out of the way I would like to introduce this 4 queen and approximately 50-100 worker colony of L. humile:

5DBEADDA-9D18-4282-9931-B5306B6BDE00.jpeg 3EDDD3C6-6451-41AF-BA34-8A835A1A9B55.jpeg DFF5A3BE-F5FF-40AE-B562-6755BB76E347.jpeg

As you can see they are being kept in a quite simplistic tubs and tubes setup with a large test tube and a few liquid feeders. They have a fluon barrier and are surrounded by a 3 inch wide moat of water. I plan on making this more escape proof and I plan on also adding more to this colony as a way of showing how hardy they are. This will sort of be like what AntsAUS did but will be stretched out. ANYWAYS....Thank you for reading and I hope you learn a thing or two from this about the infamous Argentine Ant.

Edited by ZTYguy, April 2 2022 - 9:23 PM.

• DDD101DDD, Antkeeper01, PetsNotPests and 1 other like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2022 - 3:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mix some vinegar into the water in your tray. Some tiny ants can walk on water if desperate enough.
  • Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 3 2022 - 8:19 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Mix some vinegar into the water in your tray. Some tiny ants can walk on water if desperate enough.

Thank you for that!

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2022 - 9:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’re welcome. I learned that the hard way with their off-brand cousins, Tapinoma sessile.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 3 2022 - 9:17 AM.

• Antkeeper01, ZTYguy and NicholasP like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 3 2022 - 9:05 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

You’re welcome. I learned the the hard way with their off-brand cousins, Tapinoma sessile.

Oh no

#6 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 3 2022 - 9:07 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Update 3/3/2022

They have finally started their conquest into the test tube and two queens were spotted in there today. Hopefully they are fully moved in by end of the day.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 3 2022 - 4:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
Here are some photos after they have finished moving into the tube.

Attached Images

• FC7D0219-C95B-4B33-BDD0-496CF8542E50.jpeg
  • D4D30D7C-2F63-4620-BC65-1E3F6D72FF4F.jpeg
  • 23290E66-C231-4BDD-8A5F-7F4D7AB6A91E.jpeg

#8 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted April 6 2022 - 7:04 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Wow I didn't know the brood was so yellow, the ones i dug up for ant food were light white

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, April 6 2022 - 7:05 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

#9 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 11 2022 - 11:37 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Update 4/12/2022

The colony got a male alate today and have another enclosing as of right now. The brood production is going great and maybe we will get to witness first hand the inbreeding of Linepithema humile. It just goes to show how hardy they are and how incredibly hard these ants are to eradicate. 

• Antkeeper01 and United-Ants like this

#10 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 18 2022 - 10:08 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Update 4/18/2022

They are up to about 100 or so workers and brood production is chugging along. I suspect that most of the larvae I had collected is in fact alate larvae so I’ll probably be gathering up all of them and feeding them to my colonies. Anyways I’ll have pics for the next update.

• Shazza likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users