• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Veromessor andrei workers dying since moving out of incubator

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline buglover123 - Posted April 14 2022 - 10:14 AM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

I have a Veromesor andrei colony that's been doing fantastic in a foam incubator at about 84 degrees. I give them seeds and they've gone from queen to about 40 workers in one year. I decided to recently move them out into my room so I can see them more, it's usually about 70 in my room BUT I have heating cable right under their nest, and the internal temperature in their nest is about 84...yet, every day some workers just drop dead, now there's been about ten dead workers. Any idea why this is happening?

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 14 2022 - 12:34 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

What is the humidity like in your room, that can play a huge part.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users