• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Lasius claviger and aphidicola

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 12 2022 - 4:19 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

You'll never guess what I found today! Well... I guess you do already know what I found today since it's in the title... But that's not the point! The point is I now have 3 Lasius aphidicola queens and 1 Lasius claviger queen. All had come out of hiding underground today because it hit 70F here in Grand Rapids today and so Prenolepis flew and even Lasius neoniger started opening their nest entrances! With unfortunately Tetramorium immigrans opening entrances as well... But! These queens were the first ever Lasius queens I had seen come out of hibernation which means it is now spring here.

The claviger queen was easy to catch since she was just standing there at the hole, she came out of... strange... but at least for me that allowed me to catch her without harming her by accident. The aphidicola on the other hand were wandering in the grass with 1 of them attempting to infiltrate a Lasius neoniger colony which was neat since I've never seen that.

Ok... Now that I got all the juicy details out of what happened today, I'll get on with what my plans are for the queens now. I have no idea if Lasius aphidicola can tolerate polygyne so I need to look into it, but I may try having 1 dual queen colony and 1 single queen colony. The claviger will be solo since I didn't see another claviger queen, but she will be getting the most workers since she's my first ever Acanthomyops group queen and I want to take especially good care for her. Worker hosts will be L. neoniger and each aphidicola colony will get 100 host workers while the claviger queen will get to have 200 workers.

That's all for today! Tonight, I will post pictures and I want to apologize if this was very wordy. It's just that I'm very excited.

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#2 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted April 12 2022 - 4:50 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Good luck! I’ve been looking everywhere for these queens but I couldn’t find any. But, I am stocked up on Lasius claviger workers for hosts. I idiotically tried to aspirate them and that went as well as you’d think. Anyway, super happy to have a new journal :D.

I’ve kept Lasius aphidicola together before and it was fine. I’m pretty sure workers (biological) will kill off all but one queen though.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 12 2022 - 5:34 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Good luck! I’ve been looking everywhere for these queens but I couldn’t find any. But, I am stocked up on Lasius claviger workers for hosts. I idiotically tried to aspirate them and that went as well as you’d think. Anyway, super happy to have a new journal :D.

I’ve kept Lasius aphidicola together before and it was fine. I’m pretty sure workers (biological) will kill off all but one queen though.

Thanks for the advice! I'd recommend looking near areas that have a nice large open grassy field and forest surrounding it's sides since that's where I found mine. And make sure to look for small little dirt sand hills since what I observed today is that the queens emerging from hibernation like those small dirt sand hills or they just hibernate there and come out from those after hibernation.

Edited by NicholasP, April 12 2022 - 5:50 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 12 2022 - 7:16 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'm sorry... I'm so so sorry guys... I failed to consider the fact that these 3 aphidicola queens didn't just fly so they'd be less willing to be together for a period of time... and... well... 2 are almost dead and 1 has what seems to be an injured leg in the back. Hopefully I can help at least 1 of the 2 injured aphidicola in healing. Tomorrow the claviger queen will be receiving her order of 200 neoniger workers.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 13 2022 - 6:05 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

:*( The L. claviger queen is close to dead. I don't know what happened overnight. At midnight yesterday she was walking around happily in a holding container with water until I setup a test tube the next day. Today I checked on her and she seemed very weak and was moving very little. I noticed the day I caught her that she seemed skinny, but I thought she would be fine without food until the next day. Right now, she seems to be down to her last breaths, and I don't know what I did or what I should do. Anyone with experience with Lasius claviger or even parasite lasius in general please let me know what I should do. I fear she may have been the last claviger queen I'll find this month.

Edited by NicholasP, April 13 2022 - 6:23 PM.

#6 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 14 2022 - 8:00 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well, well, well!  These frequent updates I am sure as heck are annoying but man... a lot is happening. For starters. All my cthonolasius and acanthomyops queens from a few days ago have died unfortunately. But! Today after tons of searching under logs I found her... Finally! I was close to crying I was overjoyed... I found another claviger queen. To put the cherry on the top I found an aphidicola queen as well! so now we have one of each! I will be introducing workers to the claviger tonight to ensure nothing happens and to feed her. I will update you guys if all goes well or horribly.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 15 2022 - 7:05 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have great news! The Lasius claviger queens was accepted by the hosts without any fighting at all!  :yahoo:​ She does seem to like isolating herself a few millimeters away from the workers but hopefully she'll start to join in the hoard of workers. Currently she has around 80-100 workers left to be introduced but the first few workers usually are the biggest problem. I will update once the queen has all the workers introduce and then I will introduce soon aphids and some Acanthomyops brood. Stay tuned for next update!

Attached Images

• P1013938.JPG
  • P1013946.JPG
  • P1013948.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, April 15 2022 - 7:06 AM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#8 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted April 15 2022 - 12:02 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
How’d you introduce the workers?

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#9 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 15 2022 - 2:01 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

How’d you introduce the workers?

I threw the queen into the previous claviger queen's test tube and gave her 4 minutes to settle down and then gave her 1 worker. From there I just kept adding 1 worker every few minutes or so during the beginning and started getting exponentially faster at introducing the workers till I hit 20 workers. For the other 80-100 workers I'll just use vinyl tubing and join together 2 test tubes. One containing the remaining workers and the other containing the queen with her 20 workers.

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 15 2022 - 7:54 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

50 more workers have been introduced now and the queen has been cleaned by the workers and looks somewhat fatter than earlier today so I think she was fed sometime in the afternoon. Here's the best picture I could take of her. I promise better pictures soon once she's moved into a nest.

Attached Images

• P1013969.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, April 15 2022 - 7:55 PM.

• UtahAnts and AntBoi3030 like this

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 16 2022 - 9:46 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Almost every single worker has moved in, and I've had basically no incidents besides one single worker that grabs onto the queen's antennae, but the queen doesn't really seem to mind. Also! I've begun experimenting on the colony and no... it's not any potentially harmful experiments for the ants. I'm just testing to see if the neoniger hosts will take in root aphids to care for but so far it seems like they will not accept them (to be fair the experiment was flawed since quite a few of the aphids were dead so I will be redoing the experiment). I will conduct more experiments and one of them will be if they will take them in when there's pine roots for the aphids to drink off of. I'll let you guys know how the experiments go! I'm determined to find out everything, the known and unknown, of the amazing ant group known as Acanthomyops. See you guys soon!

Attached Images

• P1014005.JPG
  • P1014002.JPG
  • Zoomed Image of L. claviger Queen.png

Edited by NicholasP, April 16 2022 - 9:49 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 17 2022 - 5:41 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Do you guys know how long it usually takes Lasius claviger queens that were caught during hibernation and successfully introduced to host workers to lay eggs? I'm very curious and if anyone knows please let me know!

#13 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 4 2023 - 12:01 PM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I don't know but it's probably close to other parasitic lasius queens that hibernate.

• NicholasP likes this

#14 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 4 2023 - 1:42 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have several claviger queens and aphidicola queens now! Once they wake up from hibernation they'll be introduced to workers.

• BDantsalberta likes this

#15 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 5 2023 - 10:52 AM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I have several claviger queens and aphidicola queens now! Once they wake up from hibernation they'll be introduced to workers.

Great! I can't wait to see how it goes!

• NicholasP likes this

#16 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 5 2023 - 3:36 PM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Great! I can't wait to see how it works out! Please document the introduction. I want to see how to found Aphidicola queens properly. sorry, didn't mean to say it twice

Edited by BDantsalberta, January 5 2023 - 9:24 PM.

#17 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2023 - 10:22 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Great! I can't wait to see how it works out! Please document the introduction. I want to see how to found Aphidicola queens properly. sorry, didn't mean to say it twice

Will do!

• BDantsalberta likes this

#18 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted March 21 2023 - 9:19 AM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I am planning on receiving some claviger and Aphidicola queens(1 of each) sometime next week. I would like to see the founding itself if it wouldn't be to much trouble. I am mainly just wanted to see your queens again lol

Edited by BDantsalberta, March 21 2023 - 9:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users