• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Incisitermes schwarzi, incipient colony.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted March 25 2022 - 2:11 PM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRavenna, Italy.

Just sharing a pair of pics of one of my two incipient colonies of Incisitermes schwarzi, a nice Kalotermitid found in Florida and parts of the Caribbean area and central America.

271203550_3049949418666931_9081003456127330786_n.jpg

The colony as it stood around three months ago, shortly after i obtained them. Note the nanitic presoldier above the royal pair.

277367494_3107763189552220_7238014758625701739_n.jpg

The same colony, or better part of it, pictured today. With its growing the royal pair along many of their court bored inside the wood and transferred there obscuring themselves from wiew (note a nanitic soldier peeping from the hole in the top right), but several pseudergates (and often larvae and eggs aswell, and rarely even the royals) are always visible outside. 

271231387_3049954221999784_2126539745067010792_n.jpg

To end the post, here's a third pic not from me but Dr. Rudolof Scheffrahn (University of Florida) of some wild specimens from Panama, showing the two morphologies of soldiers present in more mature I. schwarzi colonies: larger with elongated heads and comparably shorter mandibles and smaller with more squared heads. Also note how their third antennal segment, though still enlarged compared with the others, is much less so than in I. minor, likely the species of the genus the most people in the US are familiar with.

• Nare, ANTdrew, Arthroverts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2022 - 3:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So cool! You ordered these from Florida?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ItalianTermiteMan2.0 - Posted March 25 2022 - 3:33 PM

ItalianTermiteMan2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRavenna, Italy.

Thanks!

No, they've been gifted to me by an European laboratory that i visited last winter. As far as i know these are CB, but i'm pretty sure that the original stock did came from Florida. 

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#4 Offline Arthroverts - Posted March 25 2022 - 9:52 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

Excellent photos of a super cool species!

@Solenoqueen, you see this?

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users