• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster scutellaris hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kristijan - Posted February 17 2022 - 3:15 PM

Kristijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

Hey! I took my Crematogaster scutellaris out of hibernation today, she was in hibernation since December first, so that's 2 and a half months, I thought they usually need 2-3 months so I just went with this, but now I've been told by a friend that I made a mistake and that I took them out too early, I'd like to hear other opinions and/or suggestions.

#2 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 1 2022 - 9:59 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

how long is winter where your from? 

I've noticed that ants usually don't need to hybernate the whole time they normally would. for example I hybernated my my Camponotus for 3 months and my winter is around 4 and a half months and they did perfectly fine. I think you should be good as long as you hybernated them properly in cold enough temps. You can always just put her back in hybernation if she doesnt lay in a few weeks

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2022 - 1:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My winter lasts from November to about March. You are correct; ants are more than happy to have a shorter diapause, regardless of the weather outside. Three months is plenty.
  • TacticalHandleGaming and DRpepper like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 1 2022 - 1:51 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

3 months seems to be fine. All my colonies are booming after only a 3 month diapause. 

• DRpepper likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users