• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why do the majors never come out?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted February 16 2022 - 2:29 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have two Camponotus pennslyvanicus colony, each with about 35-50 workers. One colony has no majors and closer to 50 workers. The other has 3 majors and one more on the way. These girls are huge! bigger heads than the queen, but shorter less fat bodies. 

They also NEVER leave the nest. Only the little workers come out to gather food and water. 

Really, you'd think my colonies only had like 4 workers if you only watched the outside... but inside there is a ball of ants and brood like a golfball of just solid ants. 

I mean, I guess since I give such easy food they never come out because what is the point? But is this typical?

Will I ever get to see the big majors walking around?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 16 2022 - 3:16 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I have two Camponotus pennslyvanicus colony, each with about 35-50 workers. One colony has no majors and closer to 50 workers. The other has 3 majors and one more on the way. These girls are huge! bigger heads than the queen, but shorter less fat bodies. 

They also NEVER leave the nest. Only the little workers come out to gather food and water. 

Really, you'd think my colonies only had like 4 workers if you only watched the outside... but inside there is a ball of ants and brood like a golfball of just solid ants. 

I mean, I guess since I give such easy food they never come out because what is the point? But is this typical?

You probably will later on when there is more majors, but the reason they stay in the nest is because they need the strong ones to look after the queen or something like that.

• TacticalHandleGaming and azzaaazzzz00 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 16 2022 - 3:31 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

You probably will later on when there is more majors, but the reason they stay in the nest is because they need the strong ones to look after the queen or something like that.

Exactly correct! I've seen this with my Pheidole hyatti.

• TacticalHandleGaming and futurebird like this

#4 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted February 16 2022 - 3:51 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yea, last time I had a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony, the majors weren't alowwed outside the nest untill there were at least like 15-20 of them.

• futurebird likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 16 2022 - 4:42 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

My understanding also is that older ants do most of the foraging in a lot of species. They are more "expendable".

• Antkeeper01 and OiledOlives like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 17 2022 - 6:07 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

This is fairly common in a lot of ant species. The majority of the work, both in and out of the nest, is done by minor workers. Majors tend to sit around until they're needed. If the colony feels threatened in some way, you'll probably see majors outside the nest. When prey is dragged into the nest, you'll probably see some majors chewing at it. I see a decent number of majors walking around outside the nest in mature wild colonies, but 35-50 is still too small to see them hanging around outside regularly. My 80+ worker colony still only has majors outside the nest when I feed or upset them.

• CheetoLord02, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 17 2022 - 6:46 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I agree.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted February 17 2022 - 11:08 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Definitely seen this in my Pheidole, who've started producing lots of majors now. Could also be that they're used as repletes, mine definitely are, they're too chunky to walk around.  :lol:

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#9 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 18 2022 - 5:36 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Like lepto said I'd also guess it's partially because they need the repletes for storage.
My messor do the same thing and those majors gasters are all filled to the max.
  • Leptomyrmx likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users