• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mites? Sprintail babies? Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted February 15 2022 - 9:55 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

So this morning I noticed a sudden swarm of little dots all over my ant shelves and mealy warm farm. At first I thought they were escaped baby springtails from a small culture I bought and was trying to get going. I am new to springtails... But now I am afraid I have a massive mite infestation and maybe they aren't springtails at all. I am not sure if these pictures will be good enough, I was having focusing issues, but I'll try and get better pictures later. I'm really scared here they are everywhere within a day and they have swarmed my mealy worm farm.

ARETHEYMITES01.pngARETHEYMITES02.png20220215_121716.jpg

Edited by BitT, February 15 2022 - 9:58 AM.

#2 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 15 2022 - 10:14 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Personally these look a lot like mites to me although I could be wrong.

Edit: these look a lot like grain mites

Edited by ColAnt735, February 15 2022 - 11:39 AM.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#3 Offline BitT - Posted February 15 2022 - 10:49 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Yah, I think you are right. I think they may be getting on my Aphaenogaster Floridana and one of my girls seems to be scratching herself. I am a little panicked. What should I do about a mite infestation? They are also in my mealy bug farm. Should I start over with that?

Edit:

Ok I think I panicked a bit too quick. I now believe they might be Grain Mites and is why they are all up in my mealy bugs. I've been looking on youtube and reading some places. Possibly brought in with the oatmeal for my mealy worms and thriving as my mealy worms might be over populated and their poop may be adding more humidity which my state already is humid naturally which adds the good reproducing environment for those mites. At least I hope this is what they are as I think I can control them with a little time and lowering my mealy warm count and giving them fresh oatmeal (after microwaving maybe to reduce the chance of new mites?). And hopefully not actually harmful to my ants.

Edited by BitT, February 15 2022 - 11:16 AM.

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 15 2022 - 11:33 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Yah, I think you are right. I think they may be getting on my Aphaenogaster Floridana and one of my girls seems to be scratching herself. I am a little panicked. What should I do about a mite infestation? They are also in my mealy bug farm. Should I start over with that?

Edit:

Ok I think I panicked a bit too quick. I now believe they might be Grain Mites and is why they are all up in my mealy bugs. I've been looking on youtube and reading some places. Possibly brought in with the oatmeal for my mealy worms and thriving as my mealy worms might be over populated and their poop may be adding more humidity which my state already is humid naturally which adds the good reproducing environment for those mites. At least I hope this is what they are as I think I can control them with a little time and lowering my mealy warm count and giving them fresh oatmeal (after microwaving maybe to reduce the chance of new mites?). And hopefully not actually harmful to my ants.

yeah I think they are grain mites but, I could be wrong??? :thinking:

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2022 - 12:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Grain mites, 100%
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 15 2022 - 12:23 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

These are almost certainly grain mites. I have had them for over a year now. What I did to get rid of them was lower the humidity and move the ants to a new setup, which pretty much got rid of them. Hope you have better luck than me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users