• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ColAnt735's Ant Journal (updated 28/9/22)

tetramorium prenolepis lasius brevicornis pogonomyrmex solenopsis

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted January 31 2022 - 3:03 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I’d recommend only keeping one Tetramorium colony at a time.

This, 100% this. :lol:
Agreed
I will only keep one colony I am just raising the other two up so they don’t get killed immediately when I release them.
  • smares, azzaaazzzz00, AntBoi3030 and 3 others like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#22 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 31 2022 - 3:46 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
The native ants:

Attached Images

• DD3712FD-DD97-44B6-9E98-CA7318316F5F.jpeg

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, antsriondel and 1 other like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#23 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 31 2022 - 4:54 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Agreed
I will only keep one colony I am just raising the other two up so they don’t get killed immediately when I release them.

uhhhhh I would suggest selling them not releasing them......

• azzaaazzzz00 and PaigeX like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#24 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 31 2022 - 5:26 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Agreed
uhhhhh I would suggest selling them not releasing them......
Agreed, releasing them can compromise the local ecosystem if they don’t die immediately.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#25 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted January 31 2022 - 7:05 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Good point I won’t release them.

Edited by ColAnt735, January 31 2022 - 7:06 PM.

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00, AntBoi3030 and 4 others like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#26 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 2 2022 - 8:25 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Mini update 2/2/22 

Tetramorium immigrans: I feed them 2 husked sunflower seeds and two mealworms and they completely swarmed the food. The queen laid more eggs. (y) 

I won't update the other two T.immigrans colonies as I plan to sell them.

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis: Nothing new other than the queen laid more eggs.

Lasius brevicornis: nothing new other than more eggs have been laid.

Edited by ColAnt735, March 20 2022 - 4:54 AM.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and 3 others like this

#27 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 6 2022 - 12:26 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 2/6/22

Includes a never before seen picture of my Pogonomyrmex occidentalis! :good2:

Ok on to the update:

Tetramorium immigrans- I hope the queen of this colony slows down egg production because there are  SO many eggs and small larvae I am going to need way more feeders than I have now to keep this colony fed. :o 

Crematogaster cerasi- I woke this queen up from diapause and she drank the sugar water I gave her. :) 

Lasius neoniger- I also woke this queen up from diapause and she drank the sugar water I gave her as well. (y)

Lasius brevicornis- More eggs have been laid but there are no pupa. :ugone2far: 

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis- EGGS and more eggs, the egg pile is the size of the queens gaster this is only the second generations eggpile! I thought that this was supposed to be medium growing species! %) 

Attached Images

• IMG_20220206_150906.jpg
  • IMG_20220206_150829.jpg
  • IMG_20220206_150230.jpg
  • PXL_20220206_201915194.jpg
  • PXL_20220206_201527984.jpg

• smares, azzaaazzzz00, antsriondel and 2 others like this

#28 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 6 2022 - 1:12 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Update 2/6/22

Includes a never before seen picture of my Pogonomyrmex occidentalis! :good2:

Ok on to the update:

Tetramorium immigrans- I hope the queen of this colony slows down egg production because there are  SO many eggs and small larvae I am going to need way more feeders than I have now to keep this colony fed. :o 

Crematogaster cerasi- I woke this queen up from diapause and she drank the sugar water I gave her. :) 

Lasius neoniger- I also woke this queen up from diapause and she drank the sugar water I gave her as well. (y)

Lasius brevicornis- More eggs have been laid but there are no pupa. :ugone2far: 

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis- EGGS and more eggs, the egg pile is the size of the queens gaster this is only the second generations eggpile! I thought that this was supposed to be medium growing species! %) 

awesome!!!! your lasius colony's are just like mine they just can't seem to get pupae :(

#29 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 8 2022 - 12:00 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Mini update: the Pogonomyrmex occidentalis queen has a second worker! It’s quite a bit bigger than the first worker and is horrible at walking.
  • smares, azzaaazzzz00, Dumpling and 1 other like this

#30 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 8 2022 - 1:49 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Have you thought of tossing your 3 Tetra colonies together? Make one big colony, and in my experience the queens can cooperate until they near a thousand workers

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#31 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 9 2022 - 1:54 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Mini update:
I woke up all my ants from diapause.

Edited by ColAnt735, February 9 2022 - 2:01 PM.

• smares, TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and 2 others like this

#32 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 12 2022 - 9:50 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 2/12/22

Tetramorium immigrans- Brood, brood,and more brood. Antdrew wasn't kidding I can't imagine having three of these tetramorium colonies. %) 

Solenopsis molesta- This colony had a large die off and now only has around 200 workers. :*( 

Crematogaster cerasi- Eggs! :yahoo: She laid an egg an egg pile. I  have high hopes for this queen.

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis- Third worker enclosed today and more larvae have pupated. :D 

Temnothorax curvispinosus- Nothing new other than the queen laid some eggs and the worker who I thought died survived! (y) 

Formica incerta- These ants decided that they would use their queen as a replete and she has a GIANT gaster.

Lasius neoniger- She laid eggs! (y) 

Lasius brevicornis- PUPA! Finally after what feels like forever these queens got pupa! :yahoo: 

Prenolepis imparis-  The  queens are getting physogastric. (y) 

Pics coming soon!

• smares, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 5 others like this

#33 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 15 2022 - 8:46 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 2/15/22

I am not going to update the C.cerasi and L.neoniger because I want to give them time to found a colony without disturbances.

Tetramorium immigrans- These ants are devouring their food every mealworm,cricket,and fruit fly is being eaten. Also the queen laid yet another batch of eggs. (y) 

Temnothorax curvispinosus- Nothing new.

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis- A momentous day for the colony,the first seed storage has been created! More eggs have been laid as well. :yahoo: Solenopsis molesta- Eating well both of the queen's gasters are getting physogastric so I'm hoping for new eggs.

Prenolepis imparis- Both colony's queens are becoming even more physogastric by the day. Hoping for some eggs soon.

Formica incerta- Nothing new. :whistle:

Lasius brevicornis - Nothing new. :whistle: 

(I know I said pictures coming soon but I have exams coming up and I have to study :(  ).

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and 4 others like this

#34 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 15 2022 - 11:20 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Update 2/15/22

I am not going to update the C.cerasi and L.neoniger because I want to give them time to found a colony without disturbances.

Tetramorium immigrans- These ants are devouring their food every mealworm,cricket,and fruit fly is being eaten. Also the queen laid yet another batch of eggs. (y) 

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis- A momentous day for the colony,the first seed storage has been created! More eggs have been laid as well. :yahoo: Solenopsis molesta- Eating well both of the queen's gasters are getting physogastric so I'm hoping for new eggs.

Prenolepis imparis- Both colony's queens are becoming even more physogastric by the day. Hoping for some eggs soon.

(I know I said pictures coming soon but I have exams coming up and I have to study :(  ).

nice!!!your colonies are doing really well!!!hope you pass your exams!!! :D  (y)

• ColAnt735 likes this

#35 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 15 2022 - 11:24 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 2/15/22

nice!!!your colonies are doing really well!!!hope you pass your exams!!! :D  (y)

Thanks!

• azzaaazzzz00, antsriondel, Dumpling and 2 others like this

#36 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 16 2022 - 9:01 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Mini update 2/16/22:

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony has new larvae and another worker! (y) (I'll try to get photos tonight).

• TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00, Dumpling and 2 others like this

#37 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 16 2022 - 2:44 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Photo dump of all my colonies! (The L.brevicornis decided to put the pupa on the cotton so I couldn’t get a picture of it also sorry for the bad Pogonomyrmex photo).

Attached Images

• 44145AFD-30DD-465A-A13C-B76079B00FCC.jpeg
  • 35A154A3-4348-497D-B494-4EC06564D510.jpeg
  • FEE1D686-C1B3-4385-AA9C-10747D5BA0AB.jpeg
  • 2F377E08-74C3-4982-B984-DB47917F9FE3.jpeg
  • D7C6D5C2-BF7F-428F-B360-5AA71695044F.jpeg
  • 74853985-5D2F-4FC1-A029-0B6FBE60D0A9.jpeg
  • 21B30535-2C77-4402-9D5C-5DBCCE4D00F6.jpeg
  • 4A66428D-63D4-499E-B029-F0C79CFC27FA.jpeg

• smares, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 5 others like this

#38 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 17 2022 - 8:44 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I'm thinking of moving the Tetramorium immigrans into a cheap Chinese nest as it is the only nest I have available currently and they are in need of new space.

• azzaaazzzz00, Dumpling and bmb1bee like this

#39 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 17 2022 - 8:47 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

If it's one of those cheap red plaster nests, I wouldn't recommend it. They can squeeze between the glass and escape. 

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#40 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 17 2022 - 9:08 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I tested it with the S.molesta prior to the die off the S.molesta couldn't escape so my reasoning is the T.immigrans can't either.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, prenolepis, lasius brevicornis, pogonomyrmex, solenopsis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users