• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antgallery's Vivarium Journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antgallery - Posted January 23 2022 - 9:13 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

So, about a month ago I made a Vivarium. I'm not going to go step by step on how I made it, I'll just skip to the important part. I had just finished putting in the soil and was adding the hard objects, rocks, sticks, etc. I had found a pretty interesting small stump looking thing that was just the right size for the center of the Vivarium, little did I know that would be the whole thing that set this Vivarium apart from any other I've made so far.

Fast forward to a couple weeks later. I looked into the Vivarium and noticed a Ponera worker running around, it then went into the small log and I didn't think much about it. A couple days later I check on the Vivarium and I notice the Ponera worker again, I start to realize while I'm sitting there watching it that there is actually two workers running around, then I think I might see a third but I'm not sure. They all lead to the same place, the stump.

Fast forward to yesterday. I looked inside the Vivarium and noticed what I originally figured to be a Ponera worker, then upon closer inspection I realized it was definitely not a Ponera worker the problem was I had no clue what it was, it looked like a mini version of a Myrmica sp. but I figured there was no way a Myrmica Species could get that small. After a bit of researched I ID'd it as Myrmicina americana, a very cute species if I do say so myself.

Fast forward to today. I look inside and spot a Ponera worker (maybe two) a couple Myrmicina workers and even a couple lasius umbratus workers. Everything is pretty easy to find now that I know where it is. But those weren't all I found, to my utter surprise and delight I found a Camponotus Subbarbatus queen just chillin' in a hole in the log, taking a nap.

I'm pretty sure the Camponotus Subbarbatus queen doesn't have workers, because if she did why would she be in such an open place? But who knows. Basically though this really made me realize how much nature could be jam packed in a single, seemingly boring, log. and I mean its like 5 in. by 2 in. I will try to get more pictures but it has been a pain in the butt since the ants are so small and lighting is impossible to get right and there is soooo much foliage, but I'll try anyways. If anything else happens I will also update it on here. Bye!  :)

Attached Images

• 20220123_230801.jpg

Edited by antgallery, January 23 2022 - 9:14 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline antgallery - Posted January 23 2022 - 9:15 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

And that picture is upside down lol. I'll try to get a better one. Oh and also I'm naming the queen Bumblebee because of her coloration.

Edited by antgallery, January 23 2022 - 9:16 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 23 2022 - 9:22 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Cool, I love a good vivarium journal! I'll be looking forward to updates!

• Antkeeper01 and antgallery like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline antgallery - Posted January 23 2022 - 10:13 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

The Camponotus queen has at least one worker! I saw it feeding her some honey I placed in there. I do still find it weird that she prefers being in the open. My guess is they have a chamber and she just wanted to have a little outing lol.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users