• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving and Feeding C. novaeboracensis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 23 2022 - 7:20 PM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
Hello everyone! Look I posted correctly in the right forum
The fella who sold me my C. novaeboracensis colony took great care of them, but now they’re mine and the test tube I got them in is pretty moldy and gross, so I’m trying to move them into a fresh clean test tube.
How hard are they to relocate? There are 5 workers, about 10 pupae, and likely 10-15 larvae and eggs. I have them hooked to an AC test tube portal and a fresh tube is connected, but they seem not to move at all beyond collecting honey from the portal. Does anyone have experience moving such a small group of them?
Also: they eat plenty of honey, but I’ve tried a few protein sources that they haven’t taken (fish flakes, pellets, young isopods). Can anyone suggest a better protein source they’ll be more likely to take? I’ve seen how to raise flightless fruit flies so I’m open to starting a colony.
Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 23 2022 - 7:32 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

The colonies I used to have were very stubborn as well when it came to moving them. The trick is just to be patient, the ants are usually nocturnal, so you don't often see workers foraging until a larger colony size is reached. If you put a new test tube in their vicinity, the colony should move in within a week or so.

As for protien, crickets, fruitflys, mealworms (and other grubs) are the way to go with C. novaeboracensis.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 23 2022 - 7:39 PM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
I’ll leave their gross occupied test tube uncovered then. I’m also getting a cable heater soon so I’ll connect that to the fresh TT to further entice them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 24 2022 - 3:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Direct sunlight can get stubborn ants moving fast, but it’s not the best time of year for that. No harm would come to the colony if you carefully shook them out into a new outworld with a new tube to move into.
Mealworms, crickets, dubia roaches, and fruit flies are standard feeders. A lot of ants ignore isopods for whatever reason. Keep in mind, feeders don’t need to be kept alive. You can freeze them fresh to feed later.
  • ConcordAntman and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted January 24 2022 - 5:44 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationOregon

My Camponotus novaeboracensis colony was pretty easy to move. I just put heat on their new home, and covered it. Then aimed light at their test tube. I did have to dump a single worker into the foraging area, but that was it.

• ConcordAntman and Antkeeper01 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 24 2022 - 8:55 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Camponotus are notoriously stubborn when it comes to moving tubes, so i would just dump them if i were you. Basically tape the two tubes together, put the tube they are in upside down and lightly smack the side of it so all the ants fall into the new tube.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#7 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 25 2022 - 2:24 PM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
Update! I did end up dumping them into their TT portal and they moved into the clean tube immediately. And today I fed them a mealworm for the first time which they attacked before it even stopped squirming (as I’d pre-killed it). So hopefully the protein meal will help get them going a little more strongly

Species kept:
Tetramorium immigrans
Camponotus novaeboracensis
  • Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and PaigeX like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users