• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(Discontinued) OiledOlives Camponotus nearcticus (2q colony)

camponotus nearcticus stupid ants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OiledOlives - Posted January 14 2022 - 2:37 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Around April of 2021, I was sitting around waiting for flights of Camponotus pennsylvanicus when I noticed a Camponotus nearcticus queen scurrying up the trunk of a tree. That night, I collected 37 more until around 1 am. I, being miserably unprepared, had read on Discord that nearcticus was polygynous in certain populations. I hoped that mine were poly, so I threw them all into the 15 or so tubes that I had available. After they had gotten workers (in late June - early July, which is during Temnothorax, Colobopsis, and Pheidole flights), I only had two 2 queen colonies. The larger one, which had a much bigger nanitic batch, was doing amazing and was one of the colonies that I prioritized. They got a half major 2nd gen, full major and male (which was immediately ripped apart) 3rd gen, and then went into diapause. They were getting neglected for the month I was waiting for the last pupae to eclose, which killed off their numbers a little bit. They were fine throughout diapause, with around 70 small larvae. Moved them into a miniformisquarium with an outworld from Cheeto, and dumped them in. They took a little bit of convincing, but in the end, moved in. Added in a byFormica liquid feeder micro and they are full (and I won't even have to worry about sugars that often anymore!). Here they are now.

I am quite certain on my ID of C. nearcticus, as not only is it far more common (which should not be a main IDing factor, but whatever), it lacks the heavy beard that C. caryae queens and majors have. 

Edited by OiledOlives, April 18 2022 - 6:32 AM.

• CheetoLord02 and PaigeX like this

#2 Offline OiledOlives - Posted January 31 2022 - 6:19 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Nothing too major has changed about these ants. The quantity of larvae have been reduced due to cannibalism. They are not avid eaters and mainly drink sugar water.

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 28 2022 - 10:04 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I moved this colony back to a test tube a while ago after the queens laid eggs. They are down to 10 workers now and the larvae has not been growing at all, even with constant feeding, though the new batch of eggs is sure to change that. This will be the last or second to last update for the colony.

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 22 2023 - 1:43 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I sold this colony back in 2022. 

I did find a wild colony this fall with two queens however, which I kept until they died out while I was away.

Edited by OiledOlives, October 22 2023 - 1:43 PM.

• 100lols likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus nearcticus, stupid ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users