• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

34 Camponotus yogi queens - Chaney Trail, Altadena, Ca - October 2021

camponotus camponotus yogi yogi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ReignofRage - Posted January 8 2022 - 2:16 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationCalif.

1. Chaney Trail, Altadena, California.

2. Month of October.
3. Oak forest.
4. Queens range from just over 10mm to just under 12mm.
5. Head is brown, sometimes with orange around the malar area, the younger the queen the lighter in color and the more orange. Mesosoma is brown with a more yellow hue on the bottom. Gaster is glabrous and typicallly solid brown to dark brown.
6. Face is truncated with coarse rugae and pilosity. Very noticeable without any microscope or macro pictures.
7. A very calm behavior, queens will slowly wonder around.
8. Nests are in oak trees and bushes.

9. Month of October.

Found a few dozen of these queens, 11 of which I have given away for free. I have gone to the night of three individual flights, one of which I went just to observe queens and colonies. The flight I went to where I was there to observe colonies I did collect an alate and a male. I have found up to eight queens on one tree all at once and 15 within one mile. I was actually shocked by how noticeably truncated the queens are, I had been under the pretenses that you need a macro photo or a microscope to identify this species, but it's quite the contrary. Minors, medians, and majors are also quite easily identifiable in the field. I was also surprised by how common they were, I suppose the difference between finding only a few and dozens is actually going when they fly. I am glad I did the research and mentioned that they flew because it sparked people such as Nurbs and Ys to go look for them and one of those people were successful. The queens also are not difficult to find by any means, they will be out wondering everywhere. In addition to that, in captivity they aren't too slow - there is an egg to eclose time of only 1.5 months. First generations can also be as numerous as 15 workers. Next year I do plan on going to all the flights that happen, I will probably give a good portion away or sell for cheap so more people can get their hands on this once thought to be rare species.

med_gallery_5829_2142_88139.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2142_17197.jpg

Here is a queen I collecte as a specimen. I got lucky and she had not darkened much.

med_gallery_5829_2142_159832.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2142_82906.jpg

Here is an alate that I had found, which appears to have been munched on possibly by the scorpions in the area.

med_gallery_5829_2142_173208.jpg

Lastly, here's a median I collected for pictures.

Edited by ReignofRage, May 13 2022 - 11:40 PM.

• James C. Trager, YsTheAnt, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 8 2022 - 5:33 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Nice, like many "rare" species it is often just a matter of right place, right time.

• NickAnter, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#3 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 1:37 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Very cute looking ant. Their head reminds me of Colobopsis Macrocephala here in Australia a little.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what do you use to take the pictures?

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted January 9 2022 - 7:29 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I used a stereo scope for those pictures.

• PaigeX likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus yogi, yogi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users