• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help With Ponera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antgallery - Posted December 20 2021 - 3:00 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Hi all! I recently made a small bioactive vivarium and used soil from outside like usual. This time though a I used some rich sandy soil near a small waterfall and cave (I also used some moss from near the waterfall). Today while I was poking around I saw a glimpse of a Ponera Pennsylvanica worker running under a small log. I was just wondering what the chances are that I could have scooped up the whole colony? So far this one worker is all I have seen of them. I also don't know much about Ponera other than their eating habits being pretty picky. But I do believe they like springtails and there is a lot of those in the vivarium, so I'd say its possible they could survive fine. Does anybody know the average size of colonies, Where they nest, etc? Just some general facts that could help me try to locate the colony? Thank's in advance!

Edit: I went back to look for the worker and I was able to find it pretty easily. It never left the log and when I last saw it, the worker seemed to have something white in its mouth, and egg or springtail maybe?

Edited by antgallery, December 20 2021 - 3:13 PM.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 20 2021 - 3:16 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Are you sure it is a worker? It can be hard to tell.

#3 Offline antgallery - Posted December 20 2021 - 3:24 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

To be honest I haven't been close enough to tell. I just figured with it now being December they would have a colony and a queen wouldn't be out foraging if she has worker's. Do you know how long founding is? I saw they fly from August to October but that would have been at least 2 months of founding and for such a small species I figured that would be plenty.

Edited by antgallery, December 20 2021 - 3:24 PM.

#4 Offline madbiologist - Posted December 21 2021 - 8:22 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Its possibly you scooped up a colony, but its more likely a stray worker, unfortunately. Of course, if they're finding food and growing you'll know at some point.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users