• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex Versicolor Journal by ps004ynos

acromyrmex versicolor leafcutter leafcutter ants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ps004ynos - Posted April 17 2024 - 5:10 PM

ps004ynos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

April 17th 2024

I got an Acromyrmex Versicolor colony a while back, and between doing relatively ok, recently they have had a disaster. I went on a trip (going to another continent), and they lost their fungus due to high temperatures.*

But, as I was panicking, I realized that they still actually did have fungus (tiny pellet), and that I wouldn't have to scour the internet to find fungus.

They have a decent amount of workers, 5 queens, and a few pellets of fungus, (some tiny little motes on the floor of their outworld`), and some relatively small pieces.

*(The large chunk that they have is grey, and as I see it, very very dead)

`(I saw somewhere that they would be interested in the food if I spritzed water, so I did in the outworld. They moved in lol)

• Karma, Kowal and Ernteameise like this

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 19 2024 - 12:39 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

April 17th 2024
I got an Acromyrmex Versicolor colony a while back, and between doing relatively ok, recently they have had a disaster. I went on a trip (going to another continent), and they lost their fungus due to high temperatures.*

But, as I was panicking, I realized that they still actually did have fungus (tiny pellet), and that I wouldn't have to scour the internet to find fungus.

They have a decent amount of workers, 5 queens, and a few pellets of fungus, (some tiny little motes on the floor of their outworld`), and some relatively small pieces.

*(The large chunk that they have is grey, and as I see it, very very dead)

`(I saw somewhere that they would be interested in the food if I spritzed water, so I did in the outworld. They moved in lol)

Most leafcutters will avoid wet food, and some Acromyrmex will go as far as letting leaves dry under the sun before bringing them to the fungus underground. I would just leave their leaves dry.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 19 2024 - 4:29 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Easier for them to build fungus and eat it when it is dry although they can still eat wet food (like wet leaves of course). Dried food os preferred more though but it all depends on the colony and what they want to do.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 19 2024 - 12:02 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Easier for them to build fungus and eat it when it is dry although they can still eat wet food (like wet leaves of course). Dried food is preferred more though but it all depends on the colony and what they want to do.

Well they can use wet leaves, but there’s no point in wasting more water than we already do to hydrate food the ants can use dry anyways.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this

#5 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 19 2024 - 5:04 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
I have raised and cared for many Acromyrmex colonies and my suggestion is to find what they prefer and make sure that they always have access to it. My oldest colony loved fresh rose petals the best so I always had them available however, that was not the only thing available. Always give them what they want and always give them something else. Just like a human’s taste buds change with age, an ant’s preference for food may change as well.
  • bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 20 2024 - 2:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Easier for them to build fungus and eat it when it is dry although they can still eat wet food (like wet leaves of course). Dried food os preferred more though but it all depends on the colony and what they want to do.

You’ve kept Acromyrmex before?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 20 2024 - 2:56 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
This journal is slowly descending into the depths of Acromania.

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 20 2024 - 4:29 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

No. I was just suggesting from what I’ve seen before (in vids as I don’t see them in my area. As a mater of fact; we have like no cool species around here so RIP me…)

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#9 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 20 2024 - 10:19 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

No. I was just suggesting from what I’ve seen before (in vids as I don’t see them in my area. As a mater of fact; we have like no cool species around here so RIP me…)

Hmm… in PA, there are:
-Pheidole (big headdd ants, very polymorphic)
-Polyergus (kidnapper ants which are of course parasites.)
-Myrmica (European fire ants, although not native, if they are anything like Solenopsis, they’ll be fun to keep.)
-Prenolepis (a smaller honeypot ant, repletes are cute and hold food in their gasters.)
I suppose PA doesn’t have as much cool ants as say, California, but you still have cool ants.

Attached Images

• IMG_0537.png
  • IMG_0538.png
  • IMG_0540.png
  • IMG_0539.png

#10 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 20 2024 - 4:30 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yeah I guess. I didn’t know Polyergus was around here. That pretty interesting. Too bad I don’t really see Pheidole or Polyergous in my area. They might be in forests or perhaps actual cities (Pheidole at least although I’m not that sure). I have Prenos which are cool but come on, literally the entirety of the US has them. Myrmica are actually pretty cool and I’d like to catch one but they require quite some maintenance (they are semi-claustral). Aphenogaster; especially rudis are a beautiful species. Those are some I’d definitely like to keep.
  • The_Gaming-gate likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acromyrmex versicolor, leafcutter, leafcutter ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users