• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adelaide, Australia 3/12/2021

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 2 2021 - 11:29 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

1. Backyard in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.

2. 3/12/2021 (3rd of December 2021)
3. On the pathway, concrete maybe
4. Between 3 and 4 millimeters
5. Dark brown head to a nearly black body and les. Shiny and smooth but looked like it had setae on the head.
6. 'humped' back (not sure how to better describe it sorry!). 1 node with setae on its anus, no stinger. The summit of the node 'peaked'.

7. N/A
8. I'll show a picture, it will be clearer
9. N/A
10. Screenshot_20211203-174930.jpg  Screenshot_20211203-174923.jpg  Screenshot_20211203-174920.jpg  Screenshot_20211203-174917.jpg

I've never used a forum before so if anything's wrong please let me know!

• Antkeeper01 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#2 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 3 2021 - 3:15 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Maybe it's Anonychomyrma.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#3 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 3 2021 - 10:46 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I had a check on AntWeb and it seems SA does not have Anonychomyma, Other wise that would be it.
Might be 
Camponotus lividipes, looks very similar to here: https://www.antweb.o...shot=p&number=1
Other wise until The user gets a better picture we won't be able to know.

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 3 2021 - 11:18 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I had a check on AntWeb and it seems SA does not have Anonychomyma, Other wise that would be it.
Might be 
Camponotus lividipes, looks very similar to here: https://www.antweb.o...shot=p&number=1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Camponotus have flat backs, in the second photo the mesosoma seems pretty bumpy so I'd rule out Camponotus, maybe it's only that for North America though.  I'm not going to actually try to name a possible genus though because Australia is a bit much for me.

• NancyZamora4991 and PaigeX like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:16 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I had a look at the anonychomyrma genus and it seems as though they are generally odorous and prefer arboreal nests. this one was definitely in the ground.

#6 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:18 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Might be
Camponotus lividipes, looks very similar to here: https://www.antweb.o...shot=p&number=1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Camponotus have flat backs, in the second photo the mesosoma seems pretty bumpy so I'd rule out Camponotus, maybe it's only that for North America though. I'm not going to actually try to name a possible genus though because Australia is a bit much for me.

Camponotus in South Australia at least an have raised backs, I have a guide to some of the camponotus species from our state museum and one of the identification depends on how raised the back is. Thank you though!
  • Chickalo, NancyZamora4991 and PaigeX like this

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:18 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Camponotus have flat backs, in the second photo the mesosoma seems pretty bumpy so I'd rule out Camponotus, maybe it's only that for North America though.  I'm not going to actually try to name a possible genus though because Australia is a bit much for me.

Not all Camponotus, but many. C. lividipes does. I'm leaning towards this being Iridomyrmex.

• NickAnter, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 1 other like this

#8 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:20 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Might be
Camponotus lividipes, looks very similar to here: https://www.antweb.o...shot=p&number=1

From what I have read on the species it seems like this might be the species. Unfortunately my phone camera is not very good and I do not have an actual camera though I am looking to get one. It seems like their nuptial flight occurs early in January so hopefully I will be able to find a queen. Thank you for your help!

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:28 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

From what I have read on the species it seems like this might be the species. Unfortunately my phone camera is not very good and I do not have an actual camera though I am looking to get one. It seems like their nuptial flight occurs early in January so hopefully I will be able to find a queen. Thank you for your help!

The shape of the mesosoma doesn't match Camponotus lividipes. It's also too small.

#10 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:32 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Camponotus have flat backs, in the second photo the mesosoma seems pretty bumpy so I'd rule out Camponotus, maybe it's only that for North America though. I'm not going to actually try to name a possible genus though because Australia is a bit much for me.

Not all Camponotus, but many. C. lividipes does. I'm leaning towards this being Iridomyrmex.

Are you saying C. lividipes has a raised back? Also do you have any tips on distinguishing between Iridomyrmex and Camponotus? I have a microscope up to 30x but I can't take pictures of the ant magnified because of the poor quality of my phone
  • NancyZamora4991 likes this

#11 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 3:33 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I seem to have located a major worker of the species. I will attach some photos. In the sunlight it looked like the mesoma was blue-black while the head and gaster were black. However in my house it looks totally black with distinct brown mandibles. I believe it is a major worker because it interacted with the smaller ants but no interactions were hostile. Another observation I made was that from what I could see, it was the only larger ant on the path, but to be fair, there were few smaller ants, because these ants prefer to come out when it is early afternoon to night time. I found it at around 9.30am. I also attached an image of what the mesoma looked like to me, along with the node, to the left of the imageIMG_20211204_094404.jpg  IMG_20211204_094349.jpg  IMG_20211204_094329.jpg  IMG_20211204_094215.jpg

Edited by robbiesants, December 3 2021 - 3:37 PM.

#12 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 3 2021 - 4:13 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I seem to have located a major worker of the species. I will attach some photos. In the sunlight it looked like the mesoma was blue-black while the head and gaster were black. However in my house it looks totally black with distinct brown mandibles. I believe it is a major worker because it interacted with the smaller ants but no interactions were hostile. Another observation I made was that from what I could see, it was the only larger ant on the path, but to be fair, there were few smaller ants, because these ants prefer to come out when it is early afternoon to night time. I found it at around 9.30am. I also attached an image of what the mesoma looked like to me, along with the node, to the left of the imageattachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094404.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094349.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094329.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094215.jpg

That ant is Rhytidoponera, the two are different species, this one has a very different gaster and head shape than the first one.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#13 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 4:16 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I seem to have located a major worker of the species. I will attach some photos. In the sunlight it looked like the mesoma was blue-black while the head and gaster were black. However in my house it looks totally black with distinct brown mandibles. I believe it is a major worker because it interacted with the smaller ants but no interactions were hostile. Another observation I made was that from what I could see, it was the only larger ant on the path, but to be fair, there were few smaller ants, because these ants prefer to come out when it is early afternoon to night time. I found it at around 9.30am. I also attached an image of what the mesoma looked like to me, along with the node, to the left of the imageattachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094404.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094349.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094329.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20211204_094215.jpg

That ant is Rhytidoponera, the two are different species, this one has a very different gaster and head shape than the first one.

Oh ok! Whoops! 

#14 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 5:11 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

IMG_20211204_113729.jpg

I'm not sure if there's any specific features you guys would like me to show, or look at under my microscope, but here's another picture

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#15 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 5:38 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

hopefully last barrage of photos but they have started foraging again and I grabbed this photo of their line and some photos of possibly empty ant nest openings (none of them entered these holes). The last photo is of a hole they appeared to enter which is different from the nest I showed above. Is it possible that they have two entrances/nests, more than 50 metres apart or might I have seen 2 distinct colonies? Tell me what you think

VID_20211204_115138_Moment.jpg (line)

IMG_20211204_115454.jpg (seemingly unused entrance/nest)

IMG_20211204_115443.jpg (seemingly unused entrance/nest)

IMG_20211204_115549.jpg (used entrance/nest)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#16 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 3 2021 - 9:44 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I originally found one that looked like Rhytidoponera from SA but because of the picture it looked more Camponotus to me at the time.

https://www.antweb.o...shot=d&number=1

​Also if its 50meters away its another colony.

Edited by PaigeX, December 3 2021 - 9:50 PM.

• robbiesants likes this

May God Bless you.

#17 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 11:06 PM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I originally found one that looked like Rhytidoponera from SA but because of the picture it looked more Camponotus to me at the time.

Yes, this seems like the species! It was very obviously punctated on the head and abdomen. Thank you! It's nice to have a positive identification for that one haha.

In terms of the image, considering that I collected the ant in my first post from around that nest it seems like it came from there and I misidentified the nest. However, I have been looking around at different blogs and I'm wondering if the colony could possibly be the black sugar ant or the pavement ant? Let me know what you think :)

#18 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 4 2021 - 1:26 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Yes, this seems like the species! It was very obviously punctated on the head and abdomen. Thank you! It's nice to have a positive identification for that one haha.

In terms of the image, considering that I collected the ant in my first post from around that nest it seems like it came from there and I misidentified the nest. However, I have been looking around at different blogs and I'm wondering if the colony could possibly be the black sugar ant or the pavement ant? Let me know what you think :)

I legit just logged back on to say that hahaha. First picture ant might be a black sugar ant or pavement ant. (most likely pavement.) Until better pictures, can't be sure. I'm also new to the ant keeping and have trouble adding an ID to ants I find.
that's why that site is like my best friend right now xD

May God Bless you.

#19 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 4 2021 - 1:49 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I legit just logged back on to say that hahaha. First picture ant might be a black sugar ant or pavement ant. (most likely pavement.) Until better pictures, can't be sure. I'm also new to the ant keeping and have trouble adding an ID to ants I find.
that's why that site is like my best friend right now xD

I don't think they are pavement ants since they are Myrmicinae ants which have two petiole nodes, this ant only has one.

#20 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 4 2021 - 7:29 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Oooo! i didn't know that or think about it. I know little on that yet xD