• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boosting Novomessor w/ Aphaenogaster?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TypeD - Posted December 2 2021 - 8:58 PM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Howdy,

I have a novomessor queen that has repeatedly eaten her brood over the course of several months. Not sure if that's a problem with my care for her or if she's just a bit of a dud (she did get one worker -- but it died in an unfortunate tube flooding incident). Anyway, I don't have high hopes for her, but I do have a colony of aphaenogaster that could spare a few pupae. I figure it's pretty unlikely that it would work, since even ants from different subgenera can reject one another's brood. However, as I understand it these genera are pretty closely related and only recently split into two separate groups. Is there a chance this would work or should I not bother?

Edited by TypeD, December 2 2021 - 8:58 PM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 3 2021 - 3:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
She will accept the pupae…for lunch.
  • Antkeeper01, KadinB, Chickalo and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TypeD - Posted December 3 2021 - 11:31 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

She will accept the pupae…for lunch.

Haha alright, figures. Thanks!

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:46 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Howdy,

I have a novomessor queen that has repeatedly eaten her brood over the course of several months. Not sure if that's a problem with my care for her or if she's just a bit of a dud (she did get one worker -- but it died in an unfortunate tube flooding incident). Anyway, I don't have high hopes for her, but I do have a colony of aphaenogaster that could spare a few pupae. I figure it's pretty unlikely that it would work, since even ants from different subgenera can reject one another's brood. However, as I understand it these genera are pretty closely related and only recently split into two separate groups. Is there a chance this would work or should I not bother?

How do you have novomessor in New York? that's really SUS.

Edited by Antkeeper01, December 3 2021 - 1:47 PM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline TypeD - Posted December 3 2021 - 2:42 PM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Howdy,

They were given/sold to me by someone in NYC with a PPQ (same with my CA02).

#6 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 4 2021 - 1:12 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Howdy,

who is this person?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 5 2021 - 4:20 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Just as a heads up, those permits typically state that once the permit holder acquire those ants from out of state, they are not legally allowed to sell or even give away those colonies: meaning if they don't want them, they need to be destroyed.

As for boosting the colonies, it never hurts to try.  The Novomessor probably isn't doing well because NY gets pretty cold compared to their native southwestern US.  The transit would also stress them out if they were not packed properly.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline TypeD - Posted December 5 2021 - 4:27 PM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Just as a heads up, those permits typically state that once the permit holder acquire those ants from out of state, they are not legally allowed to sell or even give away those colonies: meaning if they don't want them, they need to be destroyed.

As for boosting the colonies, it never hurts to try. The Novomessor probably isn't doing well because NY gets pretty cold compared to their native southwestern US. The transit would also stress them out if they were not packed properly.

Ah okay, then that’s a misunderstanding on my part. Thanks for the heads up.

Regarding temperature, I keep my room between 70-80 degrees, so in theory that shouldn’t be the issue. Things were pretty hectic when I first moved in though, so I figure that I may have stressed her out by moving her tube in my room several times. Of all the queens that I currently have, she seems to have the most frantic reaction to even slight disturbances.

Perhaps I’ll give it a try with one pupa and gauge her reaction from there. Thanks!

#9 Offline ReignofRage - Posted December 5 2021 - 5:24 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

70-80 degrees Fahrenheit is on the cold to cool side for Novomessor, they would do much better around 85 degrees.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline TypeD - Posted December 5 2021 - 8:02 PM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

70-80 degrees Fahrenheit is on the cold to cool side for Novomessor, they would do much better around 85 degrees.

Duly noted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users