• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tampa 11/15/2021

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flish - Posted November 15 2021 - 12:23 PM

Flish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Caught her at a park running across a sand dune. There was a Solenopsis colony nearby but I am 99% sure she is not a Solenopsis. Caught 11/12/2021. She is still alive and seems to have settled into her test tube. The park is at a river mouth and she was caught probably about 50 ft from the shoreline. She is about 6-7 mm long.

The coloration in the images does her justice, her thorax and head are a bright orange and her gaster is brown with paler orange at the edges of each segment. She is entirely smooth with relatively large eyes and seems largely hairless. Based on my inexperienced eyes I think she is a formicine ant of some kind, but I was unable to find any native species that look anything like her, and I'm not familiar enough with all the invasive ants in Florida to know of any nonnative ones it could be. Her antenna don't really seem to have any distinguishable segments, they're pretty thin. Her jaws remind me a lot of a Lasius queen's jaws, but overall her head is a lot smaller. She is very fast for her size on the ground. In the test tube she is very subdued and does not startle easily, and really seems to like moisture as she is tightly hugging the wettest part of the cotton. She was wingless when I found her however considering the only other ants around were Solenopsis, and she was not looking around confused like a lot of queens do when being moved between colonies, I am inclined to believe she had just landed recently.

wRC3odR.jpg

40Okslz.jpg

I asked on two different ant Reddits and got nothing. :( Any info that may at all be helpful, confirming she is a Formicine ant, list of invasive ants to Florida, etc. would be greatly appreciated. She is super gorgeous and I want to make sure I care for her properly.

Edited by Flish, November 15 2021 - 1:56 PM.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 15 2021 - 1:22 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

The pictures are not working.

#3 Offline Flish - Posted November 15 2021 - 1:56 PM

Flish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Ah, woops! Fixed that. :)

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 15 2021 - 2:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Probably completely wrong but maybe Dorymyrmex bureni? Just based on what it looks like and location.
  • ANTS_KL likes this

#5 Offline Flish - Posted November 15 2021 - 2:37 PM

Flish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

That looks to be it if Google Images is correct. Thanks for the help!

#6 Offline eea - Posted November 15 2021 - 2:53 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Forelius pruinosus?

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 15 2021 - 3:51 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Looks to me like a Dorymyrmex queen. I'm not great with species-level ID on these gals, so I'll just say it looks like D. bureni to me.

• Kaelwizard, NickAnter, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#8 Offline Bugging3out - Posted November 21 2021 - 12:21 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

I was thinking winter ant at first. But now it just looks like a pyramid ant. The gaster is the main detail.  

• Antkeeper01 likes this

peace!  :afro:

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted November 21 2021 - 4:32 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I was thinking winter ant at first. But now it just looks like a pyramid ant. The gaster is the main detail.  

Not really. It depends mainly on head shape and other factors. Many ants can have similar looking gasters.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#10 Offline Daniel - Posted November 22 2021 - 2:15 AM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona
Possibly Forelius sp.?

#11 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 22 2021 - 9:59 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Possibly Forelius sp.?

Looks to me like a Dorymyrmex queen. I'm not great with species-level ID on these gals, so I'll just say it looks like D. bureni to me.

Probably Dorymyrmex bureni like TennesseeAnts said

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users