• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hydrating plaster nests in hibernation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted October 23 2021 - 10:21 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
It's easy enough to make sure ants in test tubes have enough water for hibernation. But what do you do with plaster(or similar material) nests? How do you make sure they stay hydrated properly?

I have a few nests that are plaster in mason jars, and one large one that is plaster in in a tall 5l food storage container. (The big one only has a single exit point - a hole that leads to a separate outworld)

I hibernate in my 8°c fridge
  • m99 likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 23 2021 - 11:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Water will evaporate at a slower rate in cool temps. Aim to hydrate regularly, but less than you did in the summer. It will take some trial and error at first.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users