• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Semi-claustral Camponotus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leo - Posted October 21 2021 - 3:39 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Hi!

So I have caught myself a rather peculiar camponotus queen. This rather elusive species is known as camponotus lianghuang by the chinese ant keeping community (because the ants are usually bright yellow, and "lianghuang" means shiny yellow, though my queen is a red-orange). They are rather small camponotus, with the queen clocking in at about 11mm, with a rather slender body and small gaster. So my question is, do you think this species may be semi-claustral? Judging from what i can see, i somewhat doubt this queen can found a colony with her own on-body resources, i apologise for not being able to find an actual scientific name for this species, if you have any clue, please give it a go.

Edited by Leo, October 21 2021 - 3:41 AM.

• Antkeeper01, UtahAnts, eea and 1 other like this

#2 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 21 2021 - 6:20 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

From my knowledge, there are some Camponotus species that are semi-claustral and most of them tend to be arboreal that weaves leaves together like weaver ants. She could be Camponotus exiguoguttatus though I'm not sure.

• Leo and Antkeeper01 like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#3 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 24 2021 - 1:41 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ahhhhh Camponotus linghuang. One of my favs. I do suspect they are semi claustral since Camponotus come in all shapes and sizes. I recently found a potentially socially parasitic Camponotus queen. ( prolly not since there are no social parasites in malaysia )

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted November 8 2021 - 6:19 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hi!

So I have caught myself a rather peculiar camponotus queen. This rather elusive species is known as camponotus lianghuang by the chinese ant keeping community (because the ants are usually bright yellow, and "lianghuang" means shiny yellow, though my queen is a red-orange). They are rather small camponotus, with the queen clocking in at about 11mm, with a rather slender body and small gaster. So my question is, do you think this species may be semi-claustral? Judging from what i can see, i somewhat doubt this queen can found a colony with her own on-body resources, i apologise for not being able to find an actual scientific name for this species, if you have any clue, please give it a go.

I doubt it. I'd just feed her until she's full, then leave it alone until workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users