• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greekant's Formica cinerea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 16 2021 - 1:58 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

This is a journal for my first formica colony, as the title says its a formica cinerea colony with 20+ workers, I bought the colony from a friend and originaly it was a queen (caught this summer from a nuptial flight) with 4 nanitics but we had the idea to put a lot of pupae from his colony and it worked, during the shipping the pupae hatched and I ended up with 20+ workers, for now I keep them in a test tube setup and I plan to offer them a second one, after hibernation next year I plan to move them in a proper setup when they will have more workers too.

Here some pictures for you to enjoy them too:

Here you can notice the difference in size from the boosted full size worker and the nanitics:

Edited by GreekAnts, October 16 2021 - 2:00 PM.

• ANTdrew, Wegmier and Shazza like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2021 - 4:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Formica are so cool. Good luck!
  • GreekAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 24 2021 - 4:56 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Sorry for not updating this journal,some workers was able to somehow escape through the lid that was supposed to be secured closed  :o ,so I made a new home for them with 2 barriers (bottom olive oil, top babypowder) and sand on the floor, their test tube is covered with sand and I can't see anything and there is not so much action going on because we heading for a diapause. The only thing I can see is some workers guard the nest entrance and before 2 days that I fed them some was outside too (forgot to record/photograph that :( ).

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 31 2021 - 9:32 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Formicas are ready to hibernate, I gave them 2 test tubes to have a backup one and a tiny tube with sugarwater just in case, I keep them inside a non working fridge in my balcony inside a white polystyrene box that will help keep the temps and I putted some bottles of water because someone told me its gonna help because the water will keep the temparture. Here we don't get really cold temps in winter so I think I will not have a problem.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users