• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the name of the behavior ants have regarding "licking" wounded ants?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Formiga - Posted September 15 2021 - 10:56 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Last night I had quite a lot of escapees and with 2 colonies side by side I had to do an Eeny, meeny, miny, mo regarding guessing to what colonies they belonged. I have Formica fusca.

I should have these colonies more separated apart, but regarding heat, moisture and no direct sun exposure this is the best place I have for them.

Since one of them has no queen, so they are condemned to go extinct, I give preference to the colony that has a queen so I dropped the escapees back into this colony's outworld.

And by mistake I've introduced them to the wrong colony. Twice. Oopsy Daisy twice! :facepalm:

So I've ended having vicious fights every time one ant went from the formicarium to the outworld and met a stranger. And since they go one at a time, leaving the group protection, and that colony has only around 10 workers, this is a real danger for both the individual and the colony.

Boy do them fight hard!!! They just keep rolling on the ground and fight mercilessly.

I tried to break them apart by scooping them out of the outworld with a spoon and with the tip of a toothpick. Sometimes this worked, some others didn't, the winning aggressor just bit locked on the other one and I think I could see it attempting to inject formic acid into the other one's wounds!

So, hints to learn from my mistakes:

- Ants from that colony soon find the way back into the formicarium entrance hole and go back home. Strangers do not, they might go around the tube but know that's foreign dangerous territory and never enter, and usually walk around more on the far side of the outworld.

- The best way I found to break fights was by putting them in the fridge for 5 minutes. The single time I've tried this, when I've check back on them they had stopped fighting and broke apart.

So after cleaning this mess I was observing with no red filter on the formicarium and with a 30x watchmaker magnifying lens and I could clearly see the other ants realizing this one was wounded and in need of care.

I could even see it being grabbed by the antenna by another one, being forcefully dragged into a corner to be taken care of. Impressive!

Then it was surrounded by 3 other ants that "licked" it, taking care of it.

I've read about this behavior and know they secrete antibiotics and can save wounded mates.

I know ants do not lick each other as they have no tongues :D  but this is the best way I can describe it.

Here's an interesting video about it:

https://www.youtube....h?v=pPXVNHWg5Ns

All the info I've found mentions "licking" but it does not properly name that behavior.

Does anyone knows the name of it, so I could learn more?

Thanks guys!

• TestSubjectOne and futurebird like this

#2 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 1 2021 - 6:06 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Not sure it is significantly different from grooming and self care we see individual ants perform on themselves or the care they give larvae.  :thinking:

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted October 1 2021 - 8:20 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

prophylactic allogrooming is the term you are looking for in a general understanding of "nest mate cleaning for disease and infection prevention" but in this paper wound grooming is used

https://royalsociety.../rspb.2017.2457

Edited by PurdueEntomology, October 1 2021 - 1:36 PM.

• MrPurpleB, YsTheAnt, ConcordAntman and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Formiga - Posted October 6 2021 - 12:32 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

@PurdueEntomology Thanks so much for that article, it will be a very interesting reading!

Yes, I definitely thing the term "wound grooming" applies. It means to care of and it does not mandatory involve the tongue ants don't have.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users