• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outback South Australia

aphids

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AMT - Posted October 4 2021 - 1:36 PM

AMT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello all,

These ants are 12 -16mm in length. They are seen here with aphids on an Eremophila Biserrata in Beltana, outback South Australia. This plant is an arid lands plant but not exactly local and was planted in a back yard.

I'm hoping to find out if these ants are farming the aphids. Can you tell me anything further?

Kind regards,

AM

2IMG_1060 (2).jpg

IMG_1060 (2).jpg

• Manitobant and Antkeeper01 like this

#2 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 4 2021 - 2:08 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I am most likely wrong, but these may be a species of Iridomyrmex, possibly Iridomyrmex lividus?

EDIT: Actually they probably are : P

EDIT AGAIN: Oops, didn't read carefully, you want to know if they're farming the aphids. Most likely yes, I think the closely related Iridomyrmex purpureus does, so these girls probably do too.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, October 4 2021 - 2:16 PM.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#3 Offline Ecthelion - Posted October 4 2021 - 2:31 PM

Ecthelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Hello all,

These ants are 12 -16mm in length. They are seen here with aphids on an Eremophila Biserrata in Beltana, outback South Australia. This plant is an arid lands plant but not exactly local and was planted in a back yard.

I'm hoping to find out if these ants are farming the aphids. Can you tell me anything further?

Kind regards,

AM

attachicon.gif2IMG_1060 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1060 (2).jpg

looks like iridomyrmex lividus or something similar.

Edited by Ecthelion, October 4 2021 - 2:33 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline AMT - Posted October 4 2021 - 8:14 PM

AMT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you!  ;)

• Ecthelion likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users