• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Introduced supercolony of european wood ants (formica paralugubris) in canada

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 3 2021 - 4:29 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I recently stumbled upon some studies detailing the intentional introduction of a supercolony of formica paralugubris to valcartier, quebec. They were apparently intentionally introduced there due to their beneficial effects on forest ecosystems in europe, and to see if they could help with the preservation of canadian forests. With the recent revision, this is the only rufa group formica species present in north america, and they have larger mounds and colonies than even obscuripes. While it is unlikely to become a destructive invasive, it is still quite interesting that the government purposefully introduced an exotic ant species, even if a beneficial one.

https://www.antwiki....d_to_Canada.pdf

Also i hope somebody goes there and collects queens, I’d really want a colony.
  • TennesseeAnts, TestSubjectOne and KadinB like this

#2 Online futurebird - Posted October 3 2021 - 4:33 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Maaan people in the 1800s (oh they did this in the 50s???) would just put animals all over the place. I keep thinking about what the US would be like without starlings... 

Edited by futurebird, October 3 2021 - 4:34 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline Ant_KeeperSeb09 - Posted October 10 2021 - 6:37 AM

Ant_KeeperSeb09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada,Quebec

I recently stumbled upon some studies detailing the intentional introduction of a supercolony of formica paralugubris to valcartier, quebec. They were apparently intentionally introduced there due to their beneficial effects on forest ecosystems in europe, and to see if they could help with the preservation of canadian forests. With the recent revision, this is the only rufa group formica species present in north america, and they have larger mounds and colonies than even obscuripes. While it is unlikely to become a destructive invasive, it is still quite interesting that the government purposefully introduced an exotic ant species, even if a beneficial one.

https://www.antwiki....d_to_Canada.pdf

Ok manitobant, maybe I can get you but beans and koi got priority lol

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 10 2021 - 8:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Say whaaa?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 10 2021 - 9:24 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

I recently stumbled upon some studies detailing the intentional introduction of a supercolony of formica paralugubris to valcartier, quebec. They were apparently intentionally introduced there due to their beneficial effects on forest ecosystems in europe, and to see if they could help with the preservation of canadian forests. With the recent revision, this is the only rufa group formica species present in north america, and they have larger mounds and colonies than even obscuripes. While it is unlikely to become a destructive invasive, it is still quite interesting that the government purposefully introduced an exotic ant species, even if a beneficial one.https://www.antwiki....d_to_Canada.pdf

bruh you really gotta bring this up on formiculture? Go back to discord lol

#6 Offline Ant_KeeperSeb09 - Posted October 10 2021 - 9:26 AM

Ant_KeeperSeb09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada,Quebec

Edited by Ant_KeeperSeb09, October 10 2021 - 3:09 PM.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 10 2021 - 2:21 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Say whaaa?

You don't really know Manitobant, don't you lol. It's stuff on the discord server and [censored] lol

I recently stumbled upon some studies detailing the intentional introduction of a supercolony of formica paralugubris to valcartier, quebec. They were apparently intentionally introduced there due to their beneficial effects on forest ecosystems in europe, and to see if they could help with the preservation of canadian forests. With the recent revision, this is the only rufa group formica species present in north america, and they have larger mounds and colonies than even obscuripes. While it is unlikely to becum a destructive invasive, it is still quite interesting that the government purposefully introduced an exotic ant species, even if a beneficial one.https://www.antwiki....d_to_Canada.pdf

bruh you really gotta bring this up on formiculture? Go back to discord lol
Ok manitoboy

There is no need to speak to Drew that way. If you have a problem with Manitobant, take it up with him privately, don’t take it out on other people.
  • Manitobant and Ant_KeeperSeb09 like this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 10 2021 - 5:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s amazing how easy it is to sense a troll.
  • TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and Ant_KeeperSeb09 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted October 11 2021 - 5:58 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Have any of you actually read this paper?  

#10 Offline Ant_KeeperSeb09 - Posted October 11 2021 - 8:51 AM

Ant_KeeperSeb09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada,Quebec

No but I know that's that what manitobant is saying is true, I've heard people finding paralugubris in Quebec city

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:07 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

i have. Why? Is it not credible or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users