• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leptomyrmx's Camponotus humilior Journal

camponotus humilior

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 28 2021 - 9:02 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I recently ordered a small colony of Camponotus cf. humilior from Ants Everything. Everyone's alive, which is good. This is the first Camponotus species I've kept, since there's only a few colonies in my area and I've had no luck finding a queen. There's 4 workers and about 12 pupae. I plan to move them into an Antkeep formicarium fairly soon. I'll keep you all updated and tell you when I do.

WIN 20210929 14 52 08 Pro

• Antkeeper01, PetsNotPests, Shazza and 2 others like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 29 2021 - 3:42 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Update already! These guys live up to their name, I gave them a drop of honey and they absolutely loved it. One was lying on its back drinking! This morning I put some peanut butter in their tube, but I don't think they really like it.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

#3 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 3 2021 - 10:52 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

They didn't eat any peanut butter, I took it out and replaced it with some honey. They don't seem to be eating as much as before, they probably just don't need it. Might feed them a bit of a moth soon.

My Ants:

#4 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 10 2021 - 3:07 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Fed them a moth yesterday which they violently shredded up. I'm moving them into a small AntKeep acrylic formicarium, I plonked their test tube into the outworld, they started exploring a bit, not sure if they've found the nest yet. I'll upload some photos when they move in.

• eea and JCRHJM like this

My Ants:

#5 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 31 2021 - 10:06 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

3 of the 4 workers seem to have mysteriously vanished without a trace. :( They still have one worker and some nice sized larvae so I hope they make it. I reckon they'll be right. I'm really confused about what could have happened to those workers... maybe this species just bury their garbage in the sand really well?

My Ants:

#6 Offline JCRHJM - Posted November 1 2021 - 1:23 AM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Are you sure they didn't escape? This is a pretty big deal and could happen again

#7 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted November 1 2021 - 8:15 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Don't think so, I've go fluon and a lid so probably not. Wouldn't they find their way back to the nest if they did escape though? They've been gone for about 4 days now.

My Ants:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, humilior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users