• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LC3's Formica hewitti journal [Jul/17/2020]

lc3s journals formica formica hewitti farmica journal lc3 lc3 journal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LC3 - Posted July 17 2020 - 2:20 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I caught two queens of this species on July 6th. One of the queens ended up dying slowly, the cause of death is unknown but I think it may be due to dehydration. This species likely flies in the morning as one queen was found on the underside of a leaf of a low plant, most likely to escape the noon heat. The other was found after 5:00 pm when it started to cool and probably came out of hiding. 

In terms of looks, this species, in all regards, is an over sized F. lasioides and by over sized I mean the queens are twice as large as F. lasioides queens (12mm vs 6/7mm). Despite this it is technically placed in the neorufibarbis species complex (nestled within the fusca-species group Formica). At first I believed it to be F. neogagates because it is absolutely ridiculously shiny, but it's too large to be F. neogagates and additionally, upon inspection under a microscope the head is covered in fine hairs and punctures and lacks erect hairs on the occipital corners. I did not check for a clypeal notch however.

The workers, which I believe I have found, are noticeably polymorphic and resemble those of F. lasioides and/or F. neogagates. I am quite certain these workers are F. hewitti since they were too large for F. lasioides (not to mention polymorphic) yet they lacked any hairs on the scapes that would indicate them being F. neogagates.

Other than the peculiar resemblance to neogagates-group Formica this species is absolutely unremarkable. It is not skittish, it does not seem to require any special accommodations, it does not grow slow, and it seems to prefer more humid conditions. The only reason why I am making this journal is because I have not seen any captive colonies of this species. If anyone finds Polyergus mexicanus I will give you her children. 

gallery_421_1840_6966093.png

Formica lasioides (above) compared to Formica hewitti (below) [Jul/07/2020]

gallery_421_1840_1499999.jpg

Picture of the head showing the sheen and the lack of erect hairs on the occipital corners [Jul/17/2020]

gallery_421_1840_1838706.jpggallery_421_1840_43939.jpggallery_421_1840_1028216.jpgEnhance! Enhance! Enhance! Oh look larvae of an unknown instar [Jul/17/2020]

Edited by LC3, July 17 2020 - 2:36 AM.

• AntsBC, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 17 2020 - 3:00 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 17 2020 - 4:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Shiny Formica are some of my favorites, besides social parasites. 

Also, you may want to edit the tag that says 'farmica'.  :whistle:

Edited by AntsDakota, July 17 2020 - 4:53 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 17 2020 - 6:13 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I love Formica hewitti! They actually have a very strange distribution; while their normal range is along the path of the Rocky Mountains, they can be found at scattered sites throughout North America, including at a nature center near my house, where they are very abundant. I have never seen them anywhere else in the state (though AnthonyP163 has). They make dome shaped mounds covered in pine needles and pebbles, which they defend quite aggressively (there is an audible rustling noise close to the nest).

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Apparently here they were found in the Black Hills

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline wallaby - Posted December 1 2021 - 10:01 PM

wallaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC, Canada

whatever happened to these queens? I like the gaster shape

Edited by wallaby, December 1 2021 - 10:02 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

I'm trying not to revive old threads

#7 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 2 2021 - 5:55 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

They died

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#8 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 11 2021 - 5:04 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Offline wallaby - Posted December 20 2021 - 1:06 PM

wallaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC, Canada

damn that sucks

I'm trying not to revive old threads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lc3s journals, formica, formica hewitti, farmica, journal, lc3, lc3 journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users