• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tiny heat pads/cables?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mmcguffi - Posted September 21 2021 - 6:52 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Has anyone figured out a solution to heat just one side of a formicarium easily? I periodically search for small (or maybe tiny is a better size descriptor) heat pads/cables and I always come up short

I would like to individually heat my colonies, so some contact heating device that is only a few inches long would be ideal. Typical heat cables and pads are too large and I'm not interested in heat lamps

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted September 21 2021 - 7:12 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

some people use heat cables. 

There are small heaters made for hand warmers and if put on a thermostat that could be the ultimate solution. 

I have a small heat pad and I just leave one corner touching the pad. Though only my Camponotus penns seem to care for heat. I guess it's just warm in my apartment. 

• mmcguffi likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline mmcguffi - Posted September 22 2021 - 9:59 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I tried some more SEO terms and I think I finally found what I am after

5V contact warmers (for body parts or industrial applications) seem to be exactly what I am trying find. Since typical USB is 5V, if you purchase a USB warmer, they should not reach dangerous levels of heat or voltage (disclaimer: I am not well-versed in electrical engineering)

for posterity: 

https://www.aliexpre...1758206936.html

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 12.58.30 PM.png

• antsinvirgina and Formiga like this

#4 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted September 23 2021 - 12:09 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California

Those white heating pads are pretty big, I've tried them.  May work well enough if you place a nest partially on or near it.  They've been retired to my ant keeping supply bin.

I've been using these little self adhesive polyimide heating elements with success, powered by little 5V USB potentiometers that can output 1-24V to control them.  The small one shown can take a maximum of 12V, I find that around 3.5V gets me to around 85F on the interior surface of a mini hearth (with the element stuck vertically on the back nest surface, away from the water tower).  The one in the pictures I have since moved to the bottom of that nest, and being a thicker nest I'm finding about 4.4V gets the spot over it to 85F.  This element plus the potentiometer costs $14 shipped on Aliexpress.  I have a larger 5V max element I haven't tried yet, the little 12V 39x12mm is a great size for the nests I have (medium-ish on down).  I would imagine turning the thing up over the max rated voltage = smoke, fire, and no fun.  The little dial is stiff and seems hard to turn accidentally.  

heating elements
element on nest
controller

I've been meaning to share these here for a while.  I've confirmed with an infrared thermometer these set up a nice heat gradient, even within a mini hearth, with the surfaces near the element nice and toasty and the opposite end of the nest staying near ambient temp.  As you'd expect, the nest material is a poor conductor.  I'm also using one stuck to the bottom of the acrylic of a THA Palladium nest, set to 4.2V in the warm months, works great.  The output may vary from one to the next so verify your settings before exposing it to your colony, and know that ambient temperature will play a role.  If all you have is an oral thermometer, hook the element up, hold the thermometer tip tightly against it and make sure after being on for a good 10 minutes it gets no hotter than you want your nest to get and you should be fine.  Measuring the element directly I find it's a good 5-10 degrees F higher than the adjacent interior nest surface.  

Here are links to the items:

https://www.aliexpre....9ea04c4dZw2TfK

LED DC DC 5V to DC 1 24V Adjustable Potentiometer USB Step Up/Down Buck Boost Converter Power Supply Voltage Regulator Module|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress

• mmcguffi, Bryansant, futurebird and 4 others like this

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted September 23 2021 - 12:45 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This is excellent! I'm in!

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline Formiga - Posted September 23 2021 - 4:15 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

@MysticNanitic That outworld... It takes Perseverance to keep ants! (y)

#7 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted September 23 2021 - 4:58 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
Yes it certainly does!
  • Formiga likes this

#8 Offline mmcguffi - Posted September 23 2021 - 8:05 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I've been meaning to share these here for a while.

This is all excellent information and exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing — I’m going to order a few of these pad+potentiometer pairs

#9 Offline Topgun757 - Posted October 10 2021 - 2:31 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Those white heating pads are pretty big, I've tried them.  May work well enough if you place a nest partially on or near it.  They've been retired to my ant keeping supply bin.

I've been using these little self adhesive polyimide heating elements with success, powered by little 5V USB potentiometers that can output 1-24V to control them.  The small one shown can take a maximum of 12V, I find that around 3.5V gets me to around 85F on the interior surface of a mini hearth (with the element stuck vertically on the back nest surface, away from the water tower).  The one in the pictures I have since moved to the bottom of that nest, and being a thicker nest I'm finding about 4.4V gets the spot over it to 85F.  This element plus the potentiometer costs $14 shipped on Aliexpress.  I have a larger 5V max element I haven't tried yet, the little 12V 39x12mm is a great size for the nests I have (medium-ish on down).  I would imagine turning the thing up over the max rated voltage = smoke, fire, and no fun.  The little dial is stiff and seems hard to turn accidentally.  

I've been meaning to share these here for a while.  I've confirmed with an infrared thermometer these set up a nice heat gradient, even within a mini hearth, with the surfaces near the element nice and toasty and the opposite end of the nest staying near ambient temp.  As you'd expect, the nest material is a poor conductor.  I'm also using one stuck to the bottom of the acrylic of a THA Palladium nest, set to 4.2V in the warm months, works great.  The output may vary from one to the next so verify your settings before exposing it to your colony, and know that ambient temperature will play a role.  If all you have is an oral thermometer, hook the element up, hold the thermometer tip tightly against it and make sure after being on for a good 10 minutes it gets no hotter than you want your nest to get and you should be fine.  Measuring the element directly I find it's a good 5-10 degrees F higher than the adjacent interior nest surface.  

Here are links to the items:
https://www.aliexpre....9ea04c4dZw2TfK
LED DC DC 5V to DC 1 24V Adjustable Potentiometer USB Step Up/Down Buck Boost Converter Power Supply Voltage Regulator Module|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress

Can you link the infrared thermometer you used? I’m trying to find a good one that isn’t too expensive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users