• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help With Aquariums

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Concepts? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What concept should I try to go for (assuming I have the money)

1. Arid Desert with an eroded rocky background (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Temperate Forest Stream (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Aquarium? (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Probably too tall but worth mentioning, drip wall? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Literally anything else, just list as a comment bit (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 21 2021 - 12:02 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Ah, so the time has come

Now that I'm in eighth grade, we go into the b a s e m e n t s for TechEd.  That was just triggering ideas for me, for it was filled with acrylic and glass and more.  However, what really caught my eye was a massive tank, which really got me thinking.  I'm sure I looked really stupid as I stood there listening to J-Pop, but in the end I did get permission to bring it home.  Will I keep ants in it?  Probably not, from a quick look I'd guess 40 gallons+, I'll get measurements tomorrow.  I also got his permission to use whatever I'd like in the room for whatever passion projects I needed, so maybe custom acrylic outworlds in the future?  He has concrete, but no clue if there's plaster.

ANYWAYS

Questions, questions, questions.  First off, how do I wash off marker safely?  On it was written what I presume to be permanent marker of the sorts, but I don't want to risk washing it with something toxic.  Second, do I need anything as precaution if I take of the rim?  A.  It looks ugly, and B.  It's broken, which makes it look uglier.  I'll probably get more in the future but yeah.

ALSO SURPRISE POLL

I got some concepts for what to do with it.  I can't decide (thought Temperate Forest Stream could look cool), in the mean time I'll look for a place that I can fit it lol, it's biiiiig.

Signing off,

Chickalo of the Republic of the New Antarctic Empire

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2021 - 1:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Remove permanent marker by writing over it with dry erase marker and wiping it off. I’m not sure how it works, but it’s amazing. As for removing the rim, do it slowly with gloves on. Protective eye wear wouldn’t be a bad idea.
  • Chickalo and futurebird like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline SimAnt - Posted September 21 2021 - 3:28 PM

SimAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

If the marker is on glass, acetone is your best bet. It will easily remove most markers and will not damage glass. If the marker is on acrylic, you can try nail polish remover (diluted acetone), goo gone, or goof off, but test on a small spot to test if it damages the plastic. And to remove any residue, clean it off with dish soap and rinse with water, or you can use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water mix to wipe it down.

• Chickalo likes this

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 22 2021 - 5:37 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Thanks for the information!

By the way, I was roughly correct in terms of size:

Screenshot 2021-09-22 9.06.18 AM.png

IMG_20210922_090908.jpg

And heres me next to it for slight reference (I'm 5'8")

IMG_20210922_090941.jpg

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 22 2021 - 6:41 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

1. How would you move the vivarium for winter hibernation if you put ants in it?

2. What's your budget?

3. Have you considered putting dart frogs or something like that in there?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 22 2021 - 7:02 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

1. How would you move the vivarium for winter hibernation if you put ants in it?

2. What's your budget?

3. Have you considered putting dart frogs or something like that in there?

1.  Not sure, another thing that's possible is put in either A.  Ants that don't need to hibernate (ie Tetramorium immigrans), or B.  Put in tropical ants (assuming I get a permit)

2.  Again not sure lol, I can check but I already have a lot of supplies from past projects (I got 3 more coco fiber blocks than I originally needed), and since Christmas is coming up...

3.  I really did consider making it vertical and putting in a Crestie, but I probably will put in something besides a clean up crew, fish too if its an aquarium or paludarium with a big enough space.

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users