• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Long vs short Test Tubes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted June 2 2022 - 1:52 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys,
Recently ordered some new test tubes offline. When I got them they were way shorter than what I was expecting as they are about 4 inches long vs the 6 inch ones I was used to. That got me thinking, do you guys prefer short or long test tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2022 - 4:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Longer is better.
  • Jonny8040, Antcatcherpro3 and Dumpling like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted June 2 2022 - 5:21 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Longer is better.

Is that just for space or water retention?

In Jesus,
Jonny

#4 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted June 2 2022 - 5:34 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Longer is better.

The longer tube is better because it can be used in both options you already stated. If you want a larger colony in a test tube there is more space for the colony, but if you want the water reservoir to last longer the longer tube can provide that as well. Simply due to the fact that more water can be stored.

Edited by ColAnt735, June 2 2022 - 5:36 PM.

• Antcatcherpro3, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#5 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted June 2 2022 - 5:38 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Longer is better.

It can be from both. If you want a larger colony in a test tube there is more space for the colony, but if you want the water reservoir to last longer the longer tube can provide that as well. Simply due to the fact that more water can be stored.

Good deal. I only paid $13 for 30 of them so I guess they’ll serve for founding until I can move them into hearth style formicarium. I make my own which makes it affordable for me to move colonies into formicaria soon. I’ve always heard ants just do better in a more natural formicarium vs a test tube. I don't know the whole truth but it definitely makes sense.
In Jesus,
Jonny

#6 Offline sL0wNsteady - Posted June 2 2022 - 8:30 PM

sL0wNsteady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
Longer tubes also makes it easier to feed. Since most colonies stay close to the water, you have more time to give them food before the workers get to the entrance.

• Jonny8040 and m99 like this

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 3 2022 - 10:38 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I suggest getting test tubes from kartersci.com You can get a bunch for really good prices and they are good quality. You can also choose your preference of diameter and they are all typical 100 mm long.

• Jonny8040 likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users