• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Aphaenogaster treatae Journal - Jord

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 6 2023 - 6:17 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Sunburst is an ant nectar made by byFormica. It is the only sugar source I give my ants. 

Oh, I should look into that.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#62 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2023 - 8:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-15-2023

Jord is all set to start her third season. I picked up the colony last night from the cold basement they have been hibernating in for the past couple of months. Six workers were lost over the winter, but there are plenty of plump larvae and lots of new eggs to replace them already. I hope this colony will really take off this year and pass the 100 worker mark, but we'll have to wait and see. I definitely want to get them a new setup because the lid of their inception chamber is very dirty now and many little cracks have started forming in the round container itself for some reason. Stay tuned!

• AntBoi3030 and antperson24 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#63 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 15 2023 - 2:14 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Update 3-15-2023

Jord is all set to start her third season. I picked up the colony last night from the cold basement they have been hibernating in for the past couple of months. Six workers were lost over the winter, but there are plenty of plump larvae and lots of new eggs to replace them already. I hope this colony will really take off this year and pass the 100 worker mark, but we'll have to wait and see. I definitely want to get them a new setup because the lid of their inception chamber is very dirty now and many little cracks have started forming in the round container itself for some reason. Stay tuned!

Wow, still in that small of nest? I hope they do well in their new one!

#64 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2023 - 3:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s not that small considering the size of the colony.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#65 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 16 2023 - 6:23 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

It’s not that small considering the size of the colony.

How big is the colony? I just assumed they were close to one hundred workers.

#66 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 16 2023 - 11:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Maybe 50, but I need to do a count.

#67 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 16 2023 - 2:22 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Maybe 50, but I need to do a count.

Oh that makes sense now.

#68 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2023 - 4:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-24-23

It has really started to warm up in my area recently, and the warmth has helped all my colonies activate back to normal activity levels. Jord is doing great as she enters her third season. Lots of foragers stream out now once they get the word of a food source. I'll be curious to see how much they can grow this year, plus I look forward to getting them into a new setup at some point. I've been feeding them dubia roach pieces as their first protein of the year. Groups of them work together to haul the chunks into the nest. Here is a photo of feeding time two days ago:

IMG 4843

#69 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 24 2023 - 5:08 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I am definitely hoping to get catch some aphaenogaster too. They were never on my list but I had novomessor and they were super fun to raise. I've been told they're very similar. I think I have only seen a10 around mine once. aphae seems to be the least popular species in my area.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#70 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2023 - 5:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I am definitely hoping to get catch some aphaenogaster too. They were never on my list but I had novomessor and they were super fun to raise. I've been told they're very similar. I think I have only seen a10 around mine once. aphae seems to be the least popular species in my area.

A. treatae are probably just as big as Novomessor. I definitely recommend trying to find them. 

#71 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 24 2023 - 6:03 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

A. treatae are probably just as big as Novomessor. I definitely recommend trying to find them. 

there's no way I would have missed treatae if they're that big and around me. They might be sand loving species so I might check out the trachy area

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#72 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 28 2023 - 3:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-28-2023

This colony is really taking off now! Their nest is almost full, and I counted up over 80 workers. They have a massive clump of new eggs as well and brood at various stages of development. All of this leads me to conclude that they will need a new nest very soon. I'll be figuring out what options I have and possibly building some new stuff for them. I have been power-feeding the colony with lots of dubia roaches and mealworms. Up to 20 workers will come out now once food is detected. I'm really proud of this colony. 

IMG 5113

• TacticalHandleGaming, AntsCali098 and Ernteameise like this

#73 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2023 - 10:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-15-2023

This colony crossed the threshold to awesomeness at some point last week. Big masses of workers stream out now when they detect food, and there are always 10 or so out foraging at any given time. These ants really love when I refill their liquid feeder with Sunburst nectar. I estimate the colony is getting near to 100 workers finally. Enjoy the photos below.

Nest overview:

IMG 5207

Liquid feeder frenzy. Aphaenogaster do drink liquid sugars! 

IMG 5209
IMG 5210
IMG 5211

Protein party:
IMG 5224

• CatsnAnts, TacticalHandleGaming, AntsCali098 and 1 other like this

#74 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 16 2023 - 1:19 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationGermany
May I ask how often you change the sunburst nectar?
Once a week? Every second day?
I still try to find out the sweet spot for acceptance with my ants.

And great looking colony by the way.

#75 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 16 2023 - 2:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

May I ask how often you change the sunburst nectar?
Once a week? Every second day?
I still try to find out the sweet spot for acceptance with my ants.

And great looking colony by the way.

I kind of just do it whenever I think of it. It’s probably every ten days or so.
  • Ernteameise likes this

#76 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 25 2023 - 10:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-25-2023

These treatae are quickly becoming one of my favorite colonies. They are growing very fast now and are probably near or even over 100 workers. I'll definitely need to upgrade their nest space soon, but I've been so busy that it's hard to find the time to work on the DIY project I have in mind. Hopefully I'll have more time for these sorts of things once I finish teaching for the year. Here is a photo of foragers gathering up tasty mealworm segments. 

IMG 5320

• CatsnAnts, antsinvirgina, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#77 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2023 - 5:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-5-2023

This colony is undergoing some serious growth, and the time had come for a larger nest. Luckily I had a vacant Fallen Fortress available that worked perfectly for this purpose. I crafted a larger outworld to go with the nest using a Hobby Lobby display case. The move was very easy! I first hooked up the nest to their old outworld via tubing. Then I carried the whole thing outside and exposed them to direct morning sunlight, while the new nest was covered. After a while, I lifted the glass off their Inception Chamber, and that really got them moving. After the queen and brood were moved in, I aspirated remaining workers in the old outworld and dropped them into the new one. The last step was hooking the Fallen Fortress to the new outworld. The whole process took 30 minutes. They look great in the new setup! 

IMG 5372
IMG 5374
IMG 5373

• CatsnAnts, TacticalHandleGaming, AntsCali098 and 3 others like this

#78 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2023 - 8:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-21-23

Way overdue for an update, but here we go. This colony continues to do very well. They haven't had any explosive growth, but I think they are near 100 workers or maybe a bit more now. Their new Fallen Fortress nest is suiting them well, and so is the outworld I made for them. I'll keep these going probably until November. Stay tuned! 

Protein and sugar feeding frenzies. These still go nuts when I top up their Sunburst. 

IMG 6448
IMG 6495

• UtahAnts, ANTS_KL, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 2 others like this

#79 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 25 2023 - 6:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Addendum:
Here is a top down view of their Fallen Fortress, which they’ve filled up nicely.
830-A3701-3-B0-E-49-A2-984-E-31-FA678-CC
Temperatures have really dropped here and so has their foraging activity. Such a nice, easy to manage colony.
  • Full_Frontal_Yeti, Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2023 - 6:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-8-2023

This species is incredibly rewarding to keep, and here is a quick story to illustrate why. Yesterday, my son caught a blue bottle fly outside with a net. He dropped it live into my colony's outworld, and a lucky worker actually managed to grab hold of it. Many more quickly rushed out to help. They proceeded to remove its wings and dragged it into the nest. Queen Jord herself finished off the kill! Unfortunately it happened so quickly I wasn't able to take photos! This is an open top outworld, by the way, with only fluon holding the ants in! 

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users