• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

ANTdrew's Aphaenogaster Journal - Jord

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2021 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,503 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Beginning 9-14-2021

This is the first year I've kept Aphaenogaster. I am starting this journal to log the progress of an A. fulva queen that is special to me because my five year old son found her while we were camping in Prince William National Forest. I've trained the lad well, apparently!

She was found on an exceedingly hot and humid morning on July 12th. My son spotted her walking along the bottom of a slide on a playground at the park. She still had her wings when we collected her. She did end up shedding her wings a few days later. Since I've decided to keep her, I've officially named her Jord, which means soil or earth in Norse.

IMG 0243

Here's a look at some of her first nanitics. The colony is growing pretty quickly for such large ants.
IMG 0777

I've been feeding them insect pieces every other day, along with some Sunburst and sugar grains, which I've heard these will eat. Feeding them in the tube was getting more difficult, so on 9/11 I moved them into a mini-hearth by simply shaking them into the outworld.

IMG 0923

They quickly found the way down into the nest and settled in. Everything about these ants makes them seem very easy to keep compared to some of my other mischievous colonies. The best part is that my son is very excited about the colony. Hopefully he can find many more queens in the future.
IMG 0924

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper014, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25  

Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 14 2021 - 8:53 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

What a beauty! I look forward to seeing them grow! 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, T. immigrans, B. depilis 

Previously kept species

P. imparis, T. rugatulus

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 14 2021 - 9:37 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationOtter's Basement

A. Fulva is so much prettier than A. picea, I'm jealous (as per usual with antkeepers south of me)

• ANTdrew likes this

Look at my location maybe;
my stuff vvv

My Formicaria Journal

My Twitter

My insta:  https://www.instagra.../theonechicklo/

My Discord:  Chickalo#4322

My youtube: https://www.youtube....RVXfmA3Y5ULXnCA

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 14 2021 - 12:18 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationColorado

A. Fulva is so much prettier than A. picea, I'm jealous (as per usual with antkeepers south of me)

Aphaenogaster is beautiful overall!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users