• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mold on sugar/honey test tube cotton

mold tube sugar honey

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline atrix - Posted September 13 2021 - 11:40 AM

atrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello, I noticed that my sugar/honey test tubes grow mold very quickly once there is a bit of unsaturated cotton exposed to air. This takes a couple of days, but will then go from spotless to looking like the attached pictures overnight. I have been trying to stamp the cotton down a bit when I notice the surface looking dry to keep the ball saturated, but end up getting this mold sooner or later, and it's also difficult with workers trying to escape from the hole where the test tube was attached. I also worry about crushing them when putting the tube back, so it's a bit of a cumbersome process that needs to be done every day or two to prevent mold. 

I have previously removed the cotton ball with mold and replaced with a fresh one when I notice this mold, but have also just stuffed another cotton ball on top of the mold when I see it - is this a terrible idea? I have seen workers drink from around the mold and haven't had any deaths, but I'm hoping there's a better way to go about this. Even tilting the test tube to a pretty steep angle isn't keeping the cotton ball saturated. Maybe I should pack it less densely? Anyway, I figured I'd check here before accidentally killing my colony. Any advice or input would be appreciated, thanks. 

Attached Images

• mold-1.jpg
  • mold-2.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 13 2021 - 11:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d highly recommend getting some byFormica liquid feeders to prevent this.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline atrix - Posted September 13 2021 - 12:30 PM

atrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I’d highly recommend getting some byFormica liquid feeders to prevent this.

I have them in a test tube portal right now, but will go this route as soon as I attach a proper outworld. 

#4 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 14 2021 - 6:52 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Test tube feeders never work for me. Byformica feeders would be the best for this type of tasks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users